Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Store juice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Fritztheelephant
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Store juice

Just wondering what is wrong with using store juice "from concentrate"?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Nothing, as long as the only preservative is Vit. C.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Fritztheelephant
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks David. I just saw a few posts saying not to use it so I was concerned. Only ingredients listed are water and apple juice concentrate, so it looks like i will be okay.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nothing is "wrong" with using store juice from concentrate - but you are unlikely to get very good results.

Makers of most store juice, concentrate, and even a lot of commercial fresh presses us predominantly red and golden delicious apples, which are sweet, have high juice yields and taste OK fresh, but dont taste like much when they ferment out.

Its a bit like asking what is "wrong" with using Welshes grape juice concentrate to make wine. Well, nothing really, but dont expect to impress anyone who is used to drinking decent wine.

If you want to make a good cider, start by calling around to the orchards in your area, tell them that you are making hard cider and that you are looking for some good cider apples. Most of them will periodically do pressings for hard cider makers, even though most of what they sell is for mass market fresh consumption. A list of orchards is here:

http://www.allaboutapples.com/orchard/index.htm

You can also use google, your local farm bureau, etc. to find good sources. There are still a couple months left in apple season so you have plenty of time

If you live in a place that doesnt have orchards and you have to settle for store juice, then you might want to try a recipe like graff, which is not as dependent on starting with good apples.

Quick Reply