*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Store-bought Cider in Glass Carboy - Sanitized?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
eclecticitguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Store-bought Cider in Glass Carboy - Sanitized?

Hey Guys (and Gals),

Been reading this site for a little while but this is my first post. Going to attempt my first brew this weekend with a hard cider. I believe I understand what I need to do but had a quick question about sterilization of store-bought containers.

In order to simplify my first batch, I went to Wholefoods to pick up a gallon of juice/cider and they happen to sell gallon jugs that are made of glass. I did purchase two empty gallon Carboys but was wondering if the store bought Cider jug would be sterile enough to use for primary fermentation. The Cider in the jug is pasteurized so I'm worried about any wild yeast. However, I didn't know if I could simply add my yeast, yeast nutrient, and pectic enzyme directly into the store-bought jug, or whether I should sanitize one of my other Carboys and transfer the juice into one of those.

Thoughts? I appreciate all the help you give and look forward to talking with you all more.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclecticitguy View Post
Hey Guys (and Gals),

Been reading this site for a little while but this is my first post. Going to attempt my first brew this weekend with a hard cider. I believe I understand what I need to do but had a quick question about sterilization of store-bought containers.

In order to simplify my first batch, I went to Wholefoods to pick up a gallon of juice/cider and they happen to sell gallon jugs that are made of glass. I did purchase two empty gallon Carboys but was wondering if the store bought Cider jug would be sterile enough to use for primary fermentation. The Cider in the jug is pasteurized so I'm worried about any wild yeast. However, I didn't know if I could simply add my yeast, yeast nutrient, and pectic enzyme directly into the store-bought jug, or whether I should sanitize one of my other Carboys and transfer the juice into one of those.

Thoughts? I appreciate all the help you give and look forward to talking with you all more.
The container should be sanitized that it comes in. So you should be able to open it, pour a little out, add some sugar if you want, and then yeast and ferment in that. Many people do that with plastic 1 gallon jugs.

Go Spartans!!

http://www.youtube.com/MrSparty1995

Old 11-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
skadalajara
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 35

The jug of juice is sanitary as long as it is unopened. Otherwise, the juice would spoil in the jug on the shelf.

-J

Making the world a bitter place, one IBU at a time.

Axé Cidery and Aleworks

Primary: Social Lubricant
Secondary: Tongue Oil
Lagering: Icy Paralyzer
Bottle conditioning: Liquid Courage
Drinking: Loud Mouth Soup

Old 11-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
eclecticitguy
Recipes 

Awesome! Glad to know this is an option. I guess my question was more coming from the mindset of whether its possible for a jug to be sanitary enough for juice to remain unspoiled, but not sanitary enough to promote yeast growth. I'm likely thinking about this too much, but as I said, this is my first batch and want things to go as smooth as possible (while understanding that I'll certainly learn new things as I go).

Thanks again!

Old 11-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
jamrs90
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Don't worry, you'll get it. I'm new as well and ruined my first batch, started the second with juice that contained preservatives, and luckily am about to bottle my 3rd in just a week. Like anything there's a learning curve.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
eclecticitguy
Recipes 

Thanks, Jamrs90.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:28 AM   #7
Dedonovan
Recipes 

Did you have to do anything different with the pasteurized second batch you made? I just started my second after losing my first to stresses out yeast.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:54 AM   #8
Retrofit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Way over thinking it. Cider has little "junk" to krausen up, so it doesn't need a lot of room to ferment. Like everyone else said the container must be clean or they couldn't sell it.
This is how I make my cider.
Dump cider in clean Carboy. Add pectin. 24 hours later add yeast.
All brewers should start with cider because it's the easiest process around.
In your case I would add nutrient, enzyme, later add yeast. Set it and forget. That's that.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
eclecticitguy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofit View Post
Way over thinking it. Cider has little "junk" to krausen up, so it doesn't need a lot of room to ferment. Like everyone else said the container must be clean or they couldn't sell it.
This is how I make my cider.
Dump cider in clean Carboy. Add pectin. 24 hours later add yeast.
All brewers should start with cider because it's the easiest process around.
In your case I would add nutrient, enzyme, later add yeast. Set it and forget. That's that.
Thanks for the help! I likely am over-thinking it, but I'm an engineer by trade, so if I don't over-think things, something is wrong.

Probably over-thinking things again, but I'm a little concerned about oxidation. I'm going to be using a 1.0 Gallon jug for primary fermentation and transferring to a 4L (1.05 Gallon) jug for secondary. Am I going to have too much space in my 4L jug that might cause oxidation?

Thanks again!

Old 11-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #10
Randzor
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You should be fine. Alot of ciders tend to have dissolved co2 in them and if you rack it will come out and create a slight layer to protect your cider. Its more of a problem if you go from a 1 gallon to a 3 or a 5 gallon. Just to much O2 in comparison.

Quick Reply