Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Stopping Fermentation/Bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
drewmey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

I completely agree that it is just easier and more simple to wait and siphone a second time to remove as much yeast as possible. However, i don't agree about the alcohol thing. Alcohol begins to boil off at 170 degrees whereas yeast tends to die at 140. Also you have to boil alcohol for about 15 minutes just to remove about 50 percent of the alcohol. So i would think having the exterior at 190 would have almost no affect on the alcohol content. By the time the temperature begins to reach equilibrium between the two, the temperature should be less than 170. Then again...Haha this is my first time doing this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #12
drewmey
Recipes 

I think i worded it wrong initially. I meant bring up the water to 190, turn it off, put the cider in, wait. Contents in the bottle probably won't reach 170 unless you leave it a long time. But yeah, it will be cleaner, less work and safer the way you mentioned.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmey View Post
I completely agree that it is just easier and more simple to wait and siphone a second time to remove as much yeast as possible. However, i don't agree about the alcohol thing. Alcohol begins to boil off at 170 degrees whereas yeast tends to die at 140. Also you have to boil alcohol for about 15 minutes just to remove about 50 percent of the alcohol. So i would think having the exterior at 190 would have almost no affect on the alcohol content. By the time the temperature begins to reach equilibrium between the two, the temperature should be less than 170. Then again...Haha this is my first time doing this.
Ok, if I can't dissuade you, please be VERY careful. Because the cider is young, it will be gassy and will easily blow up when heated. Keep the kettle covered, and keep children and pets out of the area until all are cooled.

Here's the thing- you wouldn't have to worry about "killing the yeast" anyway, if you'd get a $5 hydrometer and make sure fermentation is finished before bottling. Or wait a month. Seriously.

Unnecessarily pasteurizing something that either (or both) time or a $5 hydrometer would fix is really just making a super simple process difficult, time consuming and dangerous.

But you've been warned by people who have only been doing this, I dunno, 20 or 25 years. Once a bottle blows up in your kitchen, perhaps you will be more patient next time.

Be safe.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #14
drewmey
Recipes 

Ha I am in no way disagreeing with you. You are most certainly right. Currently I have no second carboy to siphon to and no store at which to buy a hydrometer. I will be investing in both very soon. I will be preforming the method you described with future batches because it makes the most sense and I know that it will be worth any extra time waiting.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #15
drewmey
Recipes 

Side note/question...is it likely that bottles will blow with a cider that has no carbonation? I had no trouble with mine but can see it easily occurring.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:12 AM   #16
thewinechik
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have made flat and carb cider. I have had bad cider where it doesn't ferment and I had to spike it. My two cents: sorbate the bitch up!! I make wine and I don't get sulfur taste.
I would NOT heat it for a million dollars. It will let out aromas, alcohol and flavors you want to retain.
You can rack it, leave most yeast behind, then add enough apple juice that has sorbate ( boil it for safety even if it should be pretty ok not boiled). After all this I would park it in a cold place before bottling. Then bottle it. Now to prevent explosions I put some in a plastic bottle and I would treat it just like you treat your glass ones. I it becomes too puffy, refrigerate again and start drinking ehehh.
Good luck !
Maria

Quick Reply