Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Stopping Fermantion in Apelfwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
zugbuggin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stopping Fermantion in Apelfwein

I'm on my 4th 1 gallon batch of Apelfwein. I have been very impressed with it so far. I've been using a champagne yeast and my Apelfwein has been finishing some where in the neighborhood of Jet fuel in strength. I just started the 4th gallon at an OG of 1.088 & aprox 12% PA and 22.5% sugar. I am going to try to catch it at around 1.025 which should give me a cider of aprox 9% Alcohol and a sugar of around 6.5%.
My question is will potassium sorbate/camden tablets be sufficient to stop the fermentation completely? I'm hoping to end up with a sweeter cider, will the fermentation start back up with this much sugar still in the cider? I don't want a bottle bomb.
This is the last of my champagne yeast, i'm going to try Nottingham or maybe Safale S-04, and suggestions for a yeast that has lower Alcohol tolerance and will finish sweet?

Last edited by zugbuggin; 09-14-2010 at 10:43 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

I highly suggest you try the Easy Stovetop Pasteurization Technique. Sorbate might do it, but if not, you have a dry apple wine with a lot of chemicals. If you have a spare fridge, cold crashing is another option. This will remove the yeast, so you need to be able to keg.

No yeast will really finish sweet since all of the sugars in apple juice are fermentable. Unlike wort, which has a lot of dextrins and long chained sugars yeast can't get to. I do like ale yeasts because they ferment slower than wine/champagne yeasts. That gives you more time to stop the cider where you want it.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:18 AM   #3
zugbuggin
Recipes 

Thanks I think you have solved my problem. Thanks for that link and I'll give the ale yeasts a try next batch. The champagne yeast is pumping like a racecar I can see how it could be hard to catch it at the right gravity.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:30 AM   #4
shanecb
Kvlt Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yeah trying to stop the fermentation using k-sorbate might not work in a really active fermentation. It does work REALLY well when fermentation is slowed, though. But in your case it would be pretty hard to stop the fermentation right where you want it with k-sorbate.

We are the Sons of Winter and Stars
We ́ve come from a far beyond time
Forever the fire burns in our hearts
Our world shall never die
- Wintersun

Old 09-15-2010, 04:46 AM   #5
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can vouch for the pasteurisation method, works a treat.

Quick Reply