Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > it stoped bubbling as much

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2008, 12:35 AM   #1
termeric
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default it stoped bubbling as much

hi,

my cider has stopped bubbling so much, and i'm only a week and a half in. does this mean that the yeast has started to die off? ive been trying to keep the cider at 60 degrees or more, but its entirely possible that its slipped into the high 50s at times. is there anything that i can do? should i add another packet of yeast? should i even worry?

so far i've just taken it out of the closet and put it next to the radiator to warm it a bit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2008, 12:39 AM   #2
Brakeman_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

It could mean that fermentation has stopped, I wouldnt worry about it, what was the recipe you used? yeast? sugar?

Old 02-01-2008, 01:27 AM   #3
termeric
Recipes 

heres the recipe i'm using;

5 Gal apple Juice
2 lbs. dark brown Sugar
1 lb raisins
1packet of champagne yeast.

if it doesnt pick back up, should i rack it? i was planing on waiting til week 3.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:31 AM   #4
Brakeman_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

No you should be fine I would actually leave it for about a month in the vessel it is in before racking, unless you are going to start another batch.

Because of the dark brown sugar I would give it another month or two after racking (if you do rack it) because it may take a bit longer to clear, and the longer you wait the more all the flavors mellow out.

Its worth the wait! Sounds like a good recipe.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:36 AM   #5
termeric
Recipes 

i've been thinking about starting another batch, i didn't realize at first how long i was going to let the cider sit before consumption, so i think that starting another batch now will help me get through the summer.

i'll probably let it mellow for the 3 weeks as planed and then rack to the secondary.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:55 AM   #6
Brakeman_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Well really you can drink it after about a month, I did that with one batch pretty much the same as yours except I used Montrachet wine yeast, I cold crashed it in my garage for a few days and bottled it, it wasnt too terribly bad but each bottle was better than the last after they aged for a while.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:00 AM   #7
termeric
Recipes 

whats the difference between aging it in the carboy vs in the bottles? is it just for batch consistency?

Old 02-01-2008, 02:51 AM   #8
Brakeman_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

You wont get as much sediment settling in the bottle if you leave it in the carboy to age whereas if you bottle it sediment will settle out in the bottle, you might get some undesired flavors, it could be cloudy when you pour, stuff like that because pouring will disrupt that crap on the bottom and mix it back in. (If we are talking wine bottles).

Old 02-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #9
jmulligan

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by termeric
i've been thinking about starting another batch, i didn't realize at first how long i was going to let the cider sit before consumption, so i think that starting another batch now will help me get through the summer.

i'll probably let it mellow for the 3 weeks as planed and then rack to the secondary.
Start a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein (yes I know, that's what EVERYONE recommends, but that's because it's good!). It will be mellow and ready to drink within 2 months, although it gets better as it ages apparently (I don't know yet, I've only made 2 batches and it goes fairly quickly).

Old 02-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #10
termeric
Recipes 

should i take a gravity reading again? i dont want to over do it with opening the bucket.

Quick Reply