Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Stop my fermantation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
pwndabear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 62

ok, then you need to figure out how long it will take relative to how long it has been taking. If OG was 1.077, where is it now? Basically, figure out how long it is taking the yeast to bring the gravity down to whatever figure in the primary, and then BOOM bottle, tack on those extra days in the bottle fermenting, pastuerize, condition, send me one, DONE! get it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4381 Times on 3188 Posts
Likes Given: 854

Sorbate and campden don't kill yeast- they stop it from reproducing. So, you'd have to rack off of the yeast, perhaps chill the fermenter, and then rack onto sorbate and campden.

I've never had luck stopping an active fermentation. It's like stopping a freight train. I've allowed fermentation to finish, then rack onto the sorbate and campden and sweetened with good results.

If you use sorbate and campden, you won't be able to bottle carbonate. Sorbate does have a slight taste.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #13
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 933 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordoe View Post
Also, would I still be able to carb after killing of the yeast without force carbing.
No. The way bottle conditioning/carbing works is the yeast eat up the priming sugar or apple sugars and release CO2. If you kill the yeast, that can't happen.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #14
nordoe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Brew View Post
Sorbate and campden don't kill yeast- they stop it from reproducing. So, you'd have to rack off of the yeast, perhaps chill the fermenter, and then rack onto sorbate and campden.

I've never had luck stopping an active fermentation. It's like stopping a freight train. I've allowed fermentation to finish, then rack onto the sorbate and campden and sweetened with good results.

If you use sorbate and campden, you won't be able to bottle carbonate. Sorbate does have a slight taste.
I do want to carbonate, so I guess I will try heat pasteurizing. I am just a bit scared if I wait a week or two carbonating in the bottles that I may have an explosion prior to pasteurizing. I know its a guess, but if the yeasties are still active, which they will be. Do you think 2 weeks can cause a bomb, or do you think i will be safe?

ALEiens Homebrew Club

Kegged- Belgian Blonde
Kegged- Belgian Wit, Joyce de Witt
Bottled- Imperial Spiced Apple Cider
Primary- Apple Cider

Old 09-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #15
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I do want to carbonate, so I guess I will try heat pasteurizing. I am just a bit scared if I wait a week or two carbonating in the bottles that I may have an explosion prior to pasteurizing. I know its a guess, but if the yeasties are still active, which they will be. Do you think 2 weeks can cause a bomb, or do you think i will be safe?
I wait a week and open a bottle. If its not quite ready, I open a bottle every other day until it is. I don't waste the cider, its always somewhat carbonated at one week and darn tasty! I seldom go more than two weeks.

Your other two options are to follow the same method, but cold crash it when the bottles are carbonated. Put them in a fridge and keep them cold - the yeast will stop working. Or let the cider ferment out to dry, backsweeten with a non-fermentable like lactose, prime and bottle.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #16
nordoe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers View Post
I wait a week and open a bottle. If its not quite ready, I open a bottle every other day until it is. I don't waste the cider, its always somewhat carbonated at one week and darn tasty! I seldom go more than two weeks.

Your other two options are to follow the same method, but cold crash it when the bottles are carbonated. Put them in a fridge and keep them cold - the yeast will stop working. Or let the cider ferment out to dry, backsweeten with a non-fermentable like lactose, prime and bottle.
Pappers, I know you have a lot of expierence with pasteurizing. I read your sticky and its wonderful. Have you ever bottled that early? If my yeast is still active, do you think a week or so before pasteurizing can cause a bomb?

ALEiens Homebrew Club

Kegged- Belgian Blonde
Primary- Apple Cider

Old 09-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #17
l1ranger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

if you want to bottle, carb and then pasteurize, and you are worried that a week is too long, crack one open in 3 days and see how the carbonation is coming along.
if its where you want it, pasteurize em. if not, crack one every other day until it gets where you want it, then pasteurize.

Josh

bottle - some odds and ends
Primary - Belgian Pale
Secondary - smoked ale, christmas ale
on deck - brrrrr-ley wine

Old 09-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #18
nordoe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1ranger View Post
if you want to bottle, carb and then pasteurize, and you are worried that a week is too long, crack one open in 3 days and see how the carbonation is coming along.
if its where you want it, pasteurize em. if not, crack one every other day until it gets where you want it, then pasteurize.
I do get the idea, but i guess what i am trying to ask is this. I know there is no garuntee, but if my yeast is still active and i bottle and carbonate, has anyone ever got a bomb after only a week or so. Or do they take some time before an explosion?

ALEiens Homebrew Club

Kegged- Belgian Blonde
Primary- Apple Cider

Old 09-10-2010, 01:20 AM   #19
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I do get the idea, but i guess what i am trying to ask is this. I know there is no garuntee, but if my yeast is still active and i bottle and carbonate, has anyone ever got a bomb after only a week or so. Or do they take some time before an explosion?
No, I've never had a bottle grenade in a week or even two.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Quick Reply