Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Cider Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/)
-   -   Stop my fermantation? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/stop-my-fermantation-194819/)

nordoe 09-08-2010 07:33 PM

Stop my fermantation?
 
Ok, so here is my newest issue. I am making a hard apple cider that started at an og of 1.077. Pretty high, I added some honey and sugar to the cider. I used red star champagne yeast to ferment. I don't want it to go dry, I want to stop it at about 1.015 give or take. Is there a way I can leave it in the primary until I get to that level, then switch to a secondary and kill off the yeast. I know the champage yeasties are pretty strong. Is there a chemical that will not affect my flavor too much that will do this? I will then leave it in the secondary to clear up and bottle it with carb tabs or priming sugar. any suggestions?

klyph 09-08-2010 07:57 PM

Campden tablets.

nordoe 09-08-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klyph (Post 2264428)
Campden tablets.

But from what I read, campden tabs wont kill the yeast. They just slow them down. I want to make sure that if I try and stop the yeast, they dont start up again in the bottles and cause an explosion.

l1ranger 09-08-2010 10:04 PM

its seems to me that if you kill the yeast, it won't carb in the bottles.

and if you have excess fermentables in the bottles and add good yeast, you got the possibility of bottle bombs.

muscleshoalsbrewer 09-08-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordoe (Post 2264363)
Ok, so here is my newest issue. I am making a hard apple cider that started at an og of 1.077. Pretty high, I added some honey and sugar to the cider. I used red star champagne yeast to ferment. I don't want it to go dry, I want to stop it at about 1.015 give or take. Is there a way I can leave it in the primary until I get to that level, then switch to a secondary and kill off the yeast. I know the champage yeasties are pretty strong. Is there a chemical that will not affect my flavor too much that will do this? I will then leave it in the secondary to clear up and bottle it with carb tabs or priming sugar. any suggestions?

maybe let it finish fermenting, should be pretty strong and very dry, and then back sweeten with Frozen concentrate to taste. I love/hate hard cider:drunk:

NorCalAngler 09-08-2010 10:26 PM

If you think it won't be sweet enough you can let it finish then add lactose at bottling time to sweeten it back up. Lactose won't ferment and you don't have to deal with killing yeast and worrying about carbonation issues.

nordoe 09-09-2010 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCalAngler (Post 2264752)
If you think it won't be sweet enough you can let it finish then add lactose at bottling time to sweeten it back up. Lactose won't ferment and you don't have to deal with killing yeast and worrying about carbonation issues.

Yes, but I also do not feel like waiting up to six months for it to finish,

klyph 09-09-2010 06:54 AM

I guess you won't be using champagne yeast next time.

pwndabear 09-09-2010 11:58 AM

couldnt you wait til it got to 1.020, bottle, give it a 2-3 days, and then pastuerize?

nordoe 09-09-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwndabear (Post 2265474)
couldnt you wait til it got to 1.020, bottle, give it a 2-3 days, and then pastuerize?

I think it would take a little longer then 2-3 to carbonate. I would do that, but it may take 2 weeks or so, and with all that active yeast, I am affraid of explosion prior to heat pasteurizing or during the process. Does anyone know if campden tablest or postassium sorbate would work? Also, would I still be able to carb after killing of the yeast without force carbing.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:18 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.