Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > stinky cider solutions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
MessyJesse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default stinky cider solutions?

Hi all,

I've got a stinky, sulfury cider that tastes good, but smells awful. While fermenting it let off rhino farts that would kill a rhino. I left it in primary for at least a month. It finished around 1.000 on the hydrometer, but still stunk. I then kegged and force-carbed hoping it would de-stink it. No luck.

I've tried shutting off the gas and leaving the vent open for 2 days. That didn't do much. I carbed it again, shut off the gas, and I've been shaking and releasing the pressure for 2 more days. I'm still getting the stink, but not as bad. It is almost flat now.

Is there anything else I can do to save it? It really does taste ok, but it is hard to enjoy when it smells like rotten eggs.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Sounds like you didn't give the yeast enough nutrients and/or premature kegging. Copper sulfate will reduce it, but you need to read up on proper dosage, etc. so that you don't end up with excessive copper in the final product.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 12-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
MessyJesse
Recipes 

Thanks.

So if copper reacts with the sulfur and makes the smell go away, could I try racking to another keg through my sanitized copper wort chiller? I might try it.

Last edited by MessyJesse; 12-30-2011 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply