Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Starting brewing with cider. Some questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2006, 10:37 PM   #1
Levers101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Starting brewing with cider. Some questions.

Hey all,

I've been itching to give homebrewing a try for a couple years now, and the other day I figured "What the heck, now is as good as any time."

I figured I'd start out with cider instead of beer because I figured I could get by with buying equipment as I go, specifically I didn't want to lay down $50 for a decent quality stainless pot for boiling wort along with a primary bucket and misc supplies.

My recipe, kludged from several I found online is as follows:

3 gallons of different brands of "apple cider" purchased at the local mega-mart, checked specifically to not have anything other than "apple juice from concentrate" or "apple juice" so I'm pretty sure I have no preservatives.

1.5 tsp pectic enzyme
3/4 tsp grape tannin
3/4 tsp yeast nutrient
~2 lbs table sugar
1 packet "Red Star Pasteur champagne yeast"

Soaked all components in NaOCl bleach for 1 hr.

I seem to have misplaced my kitchen thermometer so I was hesitant to activate my yeast in water with a temp I didn't know so I just pitched it into the room temp cider mix before lidding. 18 hrs later I see no signs of fermentation.

My question is: without activating my yeast what kind of time period am I looking at before I see signs of life (ie CO2 production)? (Using a opaque plastic bucket.) Should I just chill and wait or be concerned about my decision to not activate the yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2006, 11:13 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I'd say 24-72 hours. Adding the extra sugar and not hydrating your yeast in water means the yeast has to fight a lot of osmotic pressure to start drawing water and sugars into the cells. Also, if you splashed the cider well, the yeast will go through a growth period before they start producing CO2.

2 lbs. of sugar in three gallons of cider will make for a long ferment. Plan on 4-6 weeks.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-06-2006, 11:31 PM   #3
Levers101
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
I'd say 24-72 hours. Adding the extra sugar and not hydrating your yeast in water means the yeast has to fight a lot of osmotic pressure to start drawing water and sugars into the cells. Also, if you splashed the cider well, the yeast will go through a growth period before they start producing CO2.

2 lbs. of sugar in three gallons of cider will make for a long ferment. Plan on 4-6 weeks.

Ah, makes sense about the hydrating the yeast and the osmotic pressure. Guess I need microbiology class...

Ouch... 4-6 weeks of fermentation? At what point should I rack to secondary then? And do I need to go through all that fermentation, or is there some way I can end up with a sweeter finished product?

Old 04-07-2006, 10:59 PM   #4
Levers101
Recipes 

Cool... I got back after having a big test in one of my classes and looking in the closet and lo and behold what do I see but CO2 bubbling from my airlock. It must have started sometime in the afternoon. Great treat after a hard day!

Old 04-25-2006, 03:34 AM   #5
Cap'n Jewbeard

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm relatively new to the cider-making racket, but I feel like if, with 2 lbs of sugar in... 3 gallons was it?... if he stops the fermentation at about 3-4 weeks it'll be somewhat sweeter, yes? Will it be drinkable, or nasty?

My roommate and I were willing to wait for our drunk, we did a 5 gal, christ it must have had 4.5 lbs of sugar, sat on it for 6 weeks, and it came out bone dry. We carbonated the heck out of it in the beer bottles and I told everyone it was "apple champagne." They seemed to believe that well enough, especially because otherwise they would have been expecting Mike's Hard (shudder).

Quick Reply