The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Spiced Cider Spicing Method Critique

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
BMan1113VR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Spiced Cider Spicing Method Critique

Howdy, I just racked to secondary a batch of cider that I intend on bottling, naturally carbonating, and spicing. Here is the base recipe that I have done:
Plan: ~7.5 ABV spiced cider. Rack to secondary and "dry spice" (dry hop with spices).
Juice: 512 FL OZ (4 US Gallons) organic apple juice no perservatives
Sugar: 1.5 lbs evaporated cane sugar.
Yeast Nutrients.
Yeast: Packet of Danstar Nottingham
OG: temperature corrected: 1.075
Brewed 11/2/2008

On 11/21/2008 the airlock had stopped bubbling for about a week and a half. I took a gravity reading, and racked to secondary.

The SG was 1.003 temperature corrected.
Tasting notes: suprisingly sweet given the SG, very fruity with notes on top of the fresh apples of white peaches, appricots and passion fruit juice. Alcohol nicely hidden given the calculated abv, full and smooth bodied. It was so good I bottled one bottle.

Now my plan is to spice it using a dry hopping bag, and the same method. I plan on checking every other day to make sure none of the ingredients get out of hand.

My goal for this cider is to naturally carbonate and bottle it. I want the spices to be a back note to add to the holiday spirit of things, and not to dominate the flavor. I very much want to make sure that this is not an astringent spice bomb.

Now after all that, to the point of my post: What spices and how much should I use?
The spices I was thinking of:
1 large Cinnamon Stick (tasting every other day so it doesnt get out of control)
3 whole Nutmeg
1 Vanilla Bean
X? whole Cloves
X? Allspice berries (same amount as the clove)

Other Spices I have been thinking of:
dried Orange Peel
dried lemon peel
Ginger
Annato
Star Anise

So what do you guys think I should do spices wise, and what amounts? I do plan on taking the cinnamon out once it reaches the correct level...I don't want this already good tasting cider to end up tasting like Big Red bubble gum. Remember I am trying to make a cider where the spices compliment, not dominate.

Thanks for reeading this long post

Last edited by BMan1113VR; 11-22-2008 at 08:13 PM. Reason: just updating

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I just did a mead and a cider using Trader Joe's pumpkin spice. 1/2 tsp per gallon. So far it tastes nice. I will rack to secondary and add another 1/2 tsp.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:42 AM   #3
felix
Recipes 

here's some info about spices adjuncts:

Herbs and Spices - Home Brewing Wiki

hope it helps.... i dont have personal experience with spices yet... 'got some cider in primary with a cinnamon stick....

Come in beautiful Similkameen Valley and visit the winery i work at! www.orofinovineyards.com

Old 11-23-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
BMan1113VR
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
here's some info about spices adjuncts:

Herbs and Spices - Home Brewing Wiki

hope it helps.... i dont have personal experience with spices yet... 'got some cider in primary with a cinnamon stick....
Yup, thats a helpful link, but it seems to be aimed more for beer (adding during the boil) than cider.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:29 PM   #5
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

poobah- Where do you get Trader Joe's Pumpkin Spice? I see a few people mention that. I like to try a pumpkin cider before the mill closes for the winter.

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 11-24-2008, 10:45 PM   #6
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

It has nothing to do with pumpkin, if it is what I have. It is just a mixture of spices commonly used in pumpkin pie. You can also buy apple pie spices. They are very similar and contain some ratios of all spice, cinnamon, clove etc.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:53 PM   #7
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugenBrau View Post
poobah- Where do you get Trader Joe's Pumpkin Spice? I see a few people mention that. I like to try a pumpkin cider before the mill closes for the winter.
Anything you see mentioned as "Trader Joes" is gotten at a store called Trader Joes, I know that it is a few places, but seems most prelevent on the west coast.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 11-24-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugenBrau View Post
I got it at Trade Joe's!

www.traderjoes.com

Old 10-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #9
dayflyer55
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am interested in spicing my cider. it is just 3 days into primary right now. im planning on leaving it flat. what would be the process to "dry spice"? is it as easy as just adding them in in secondary?

Old 10-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
gratus fermentatio
Recipes 

Liked 682 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 1674

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMan1113VR View Post
Here is the base recipe that I have done:
Plan: ~7.5 ABV spiced cider. Rack to secondary and "dry spice" (dry hop with spices).
Juice: 512 FL OZ (4 US Gallons) organic apple juice no perservatives
Sugar: 1.5 lbs evaporated cane sugar.
Yeast Nutrients.
Yeast: Packet of Danstar Nottingham
OG: temperature corrected: 1.075
Brewed 11/2/2008

What spices and how much should I use?
The spices I was thinking of:
1 large Cinnamon Stick (tasting every other day so it doesnt get out of control)
3 whole Nutmeg
1 Vanilla Bean
X? whole Cloves
X? Allspice berries (same amount as the clove)

Other Spices I have been thinking of:
dried Orange Peel
dried lemon peel
Ginger
Annato
Star Anise

So what do you guys think I should do spices wise, and what amounts? I do plan on taking the cinnamon out once it reaches the correct level...I don't want this already good tasting cider to end up tasting like Big Red bubble gum. Remember I am trying to make a cider where the spices compliment, not dominate.

If you're using the standard 3" cinamon sticks, I'd increase it to 2 sticks. I'd cut the nutmeg down to 1 whole nutmeg, but I'd slice it up to release more flavour. I'd split the vanilla bean lengthwise & add it all. I think 2 or 3 whole cloves & maybe 2 or 3 whole allspice berries would work well for you.

Orange and/or lemon zest would work well with the above spices, I'd go with the zest of 1 or 2 of those fruits (or 1 of each). If you add ginger, I'd use 2 or 3 oz. of fresh sliced ginger. I'm not a fan of anise & have never used it nor annatto, so I cannot advise you on those. I have used molasses & can tell you that it goes very well with apple & all those spices. You might consider adding an oz, MAYBE 2 oz. but no more. If you do add molasses, the yeast with ferment it, so you'll have to wait a little longer for it to clear & bottle. I think all the above spices would be enough, especially since they'll be in a 4 gallon batch. It's a good thing you plan on checking the flavour profile every other day, cuz I think this could easily go ver the top pretty quick. That's my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

Quick Reply