Sparkling Sweet Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrick

Reaction score
This is a recipe that has worked very well for me with my last cider batch. It stays sweet and if you use some dextrose to carb it and bottle condition while checking the carbonation every once in a while you can get it up to a very nice sparkling carbonation. I only recommend this method if you can remember to check a bottle every now and again while it sits and carbs then get it all into a fridge when it has reached the level of sparkling you are looking for. Don't try this in more than 80 - 85 degree temps, or BAM! The last batch I made took quite a long time to get there but is now wonderful.

4 Gallons Apple Juice
4 Cans AJ Concentrate
2 lbs. Demerera Sugar
2 lbs. Honey
1 Pack Windsor Dry Yeast

Well I have never used a hydrometer, I just do it all by time and by feel. I know, I get hammerd on here for it all the time but it keeps me from worry and trying to get another step in every brewing process. I usually let cider go for two weeks in primary and then rack to a clear bottle to observe it clearing, I will bottle when it is mostly clear. I have found that waiting until it totally clears is a real crap shot as to if it will carb up at all. Leaving more in suspension seems to work better for me carbing it later. Carb with a slightly high amount of dextrose for the batch and then check up on them regular for the right level of carbing. Then cold condition for a few months.

I have bottled this recipe and let it condition for around a week and a half now. Cracked one open and just as I planned, great apple flavor, nice mid-level sweetness, not enough carbonation yet but I have always found that cider takes longer to carbonate than beer does. I really don't think I would do anything at all to the original recipe. If I wanted it sweeter I would add in another can of concentrate, or take one out if I wanted it more dry. Maybe a little more priming sugar, but that is yet to be seen for a couple more weeks. All-in-all a great little cider recipe for my tastes.

Hey guys,
I was just wondering on the process on cider, Do you heat the apple juice to a certain temp then mix all the ingredients minus the yeast until back at room temp then add yeast and let ferment?? sorry I;m a newb any clearer instructions would be greatly appreciated Thanks for your help

Hey guys,
I was just wondering on the process on cider, Do you heat the apple juice to a certain temp then mix all the ingredients minus the yeast until back at room temp then add yeast and let ferment?? sorry I;m a newb any clearer instructions would be greatly appreciated Thanks for your help

Cider really isn't picky about the tempature it ferments at, though lower temps will make for a more balanced smoother drink. Cooking, though, will change the flavor, kind of like a fresh apple vs apple pie if it wasn't sweetened, spiced, etc. Yeast, however, are a little bit picky about temp. I wouldn't pitch yeast in if the batch is above 80.

I'm not going to hammer you on using a hydrometer, but I will say it does help.
I would also recommend using PET bottles, like recycled and cleaned soda-pop-coke bottles for the nubes until they get their feel right and growing pains over with.
They handle a lot of pressure, and limit the glass shards going into your eyes.
But really, a hydrometer helps to limit the damage!!! and the stress. :)

Yea I have a 5 gallon PET carboy I'm using for my first attempt, I plan on taking OG readings just trying to figure what a good readign would be to transfer over to the secondary and then when I should bottle :confused: lol wish me luck!

I'm not going to hammer you on using a hydrometer, but I will say it does help.
I would also recommend using PET bottles, like recycled and cleaned soda-pop-coke bottles for the nubes until they get their feel right and growing pains over with.
They handle a lot of pressure, and limit the glass shards going into your eyes.
But really, a hydrometer helps to limit the damage!!! and the stress. :)

Plus they're great to use as carbonation testers. For newbies who don't invest in 5 gallon batches, such as myself, one gallon can be a lot more economical. If thats the case, its a damned shame to drink an entire bottle of cider just to test the carbonation, where you have so few in total, so having something else to judge it by, like the feel of the plastic bottle, is nice.

Newb here. How long does this take to be finished? I'm looking to make a nice sweet cider for christmas. Can this be done with a 5gal batch? Or should i look at a 1 gal? Does size matter on finishing time?

If you start now, your cider should definitely be finished before Christmas (I'd say 2 months total). Bigger batches are best (or else you'll run out too quickly! ;) )
Finishing time isn't really correlated with size.

We'', i ended up doing a 5 gal batch. It's a mix of recipes i've seen on here.

4.25 gal apple juice
4# dark brown sugar
3 12oz cans of concentrates
1 pack of cote des blanc's yeast

OG reading of 1.092 if read correctly. ABV show be around 10.72 again if calc is right. plus a guess at FG.

That sounds like a really delicious cider--full of flavor! From my calculations, the abv will be closer to 13%. Are you going to force carb in a keg?

So OP recipe doesn't backsweeten but frontloads the batch with a crapload of sugar? Does that make the cider's ABV high enough to kill the yeast with enough residual sugar to still make it sweet?

The plan is to prim and bottle at some point. 13%. WOW, from my reading that could take some time to mellow the flavors. But, being new???? Started ferm in 16hrs. It's now 51hrs and the smell is AWESOMELY GOOD. Bubbling like mad and not as bark as day 1. If the info is correct, the yeast should be ok with that high of ABV. I do want a lot of apple favor and a sweetness to this. I am prep'ing to make a oatmeal chocolate milk stout. I've read the lactose remains to add sweetness. Was thinking of doing the same with the cider.

Isn't the yeast's limit 13%abv? If you let it ferment out and then prime and bottle, your yeast might not be able to ferment more?
Maybe you could cold-crash it before it finishes?

EDIT: Just re-read the fact-sheet for cotes de blan, and it says"Alcohol tolerance: >14% vol". Guess it will be fine :)

Some say 6months+ for apfelwein, but it will still taste good once it clears. Sweet sparkling tastes good @ bottling time, so you should still be good for Christmas
[/LIST]

Back