The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Sparkling cider vs dry

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ventura
Posts: 831
Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts

Default Sparkling cider vs dry

I planned on making my cider I have going a sparkling cider that will be back sweetend with some red hot candies and a little frozen apple juice concentrate. I just read that if you add the sweeteners later that you cannot carbonate unless you have a keg? Is this true or is there a way around this? I want it a little carbonated not flat or still.

__________________
HAREEBROWNBEEST is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
voltin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 414
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

In order to have a back sweetened, sparkling cider you will have to add your sweetener, carbonate to your desired level and then pasteurize. There is a sticky on pasteurization in this forum.

__________________
My eBIAB Build | Texas Blues and Brews Festival

On Deck: Motor Oil Barleywine, Cider Trials, Vanilla Cream Ale, California Blonde
Primary: Cotton Blossom Traditional Mead, 1744 Porter (Ale-ian Society Club Brew), Old Ale
Secondary: Peach Wine, Cranberry Cider
Kegged: Christmas Ale, YHC English Summer Ale
On Tap: Nothing :(
Bottled: Yup still nothing...
voltin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 01:52 AM   #3
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ventura
Posts: 831
Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAREEBROWNBEEST
I planned on making my cider I have going a sparkling cider that will be back sweetend with some red hot candies and a little frozen apple juice concentrate. I just read that if you add the sweeteners later that you cannot carbonate unless you have a keg? Is this true or is there a way around this? I want it a little carbonated not flat or still.
Oh and no bottle bombs.
__________________
HAREEBROWNBEEST is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
divi2323
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Blue Island, IL
Posts: 375
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltin
In order to have a back sweetened, sparkling cider you will have to add your sweetener, carbonate to your desired level and then pasteurize. There is a sticky on pasteurization in this forum.
Well... You can also sweeten with a non fermentable sweetener and then bottle prime. I.e. stevia, xylitol, lactose, splenda. The need for pasteurization goes away with this method.

One of my ciders I went with 2tsp stevia for a five gallon batch and primed with a cup of table sugar, and ended up taking 2nd place in a competition.
__________________
divi2323 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ventura
Posts: 831
Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by divi2323

Well... You can also sweeten with a non fermentable sweetener and then bottle prime. I.e. stevia, xylitol, lactose, splenda. The need for pasteurization goes away with this method.

One of my ciders I went with 2tsp stevia for a five gallon batch and primed with a cup of table sugar, and ended up taking 2nd place in a competition.
Oh nice I will try this method. I'm only doing 2.5 gallons so 1 tbs should do and 1/2 cup sugar?
__________________
HAREEBROWNBEEST is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
divi2323
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Blue Island, IL
Posts: 375
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Teaspoon, not tablespoon. The steviol glycosides that I get from my brew shop is super concentrated. 2tsp is almost too much. As the cider ages, the sweetness will come back. My longer aged bottles are almost too sweet for me to drink. Thank God they're almost all done

__________________
divi2323 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools