HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > sour cider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
Pickled_Pepper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I wish I could be more help. I rarely use sulfites (or any chems for that mater) so I can only speculate on how they work based on reading and researching. It sounds like you are on the right track. The fun thing about making hard cider (other than the alcohol) is that you can change up your methods along the way after getting a few batches under your belt. If this one doesn't clear up or is not the way you like it, try something different. I feel that the more simple you can make your methods, you will be more inclined to make your own cider instead of buying it. If it's a pain to do or you have to stress over new techniques, you might just put it off until tomorrow.

I love reading about everyone's experiences on here! I love hearing someone say "I LOVE MY CIDER!" Because...well...I LOVE the cider I make and that's the only person I'm brewing for.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use sulfites in every batch. Tasted way too much infected and oxidized cider over the years not to take such an inexpensive precaution. It is possible to over do it, but it'll take a lot of sulfites (100-150 ppm) all at once and the taste will become apparent in the cider. Luckily, it seems like you're well within 'normal' ranges for sulfite use, and should you ever add too much just wait, and the free SO2 will bind up over time and the sulfer taste will go away.

You can measure the amount of free SO2 in your cider really easily with these http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/titrets-10-pack-sulfite-tester.html

When working with fresh pressed juice, I like to add 50ppm 24 hrs prior to pitching the yeast. 50ppm at racking, and maybe 30-40 ppm in the bottling bucket. By the time it's drunk the free SO2 is down to 15-20ppm where 99.99% of people can't sense it's presence.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #13
dr_al

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

give it time, the sour will mellow out i prefer to wait 6 months for my dry ciders and every month after that they just keep getting better.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #14
hunter006
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Still waiting for it to clear a bit more. Think I made a mistake of rackinging it to secondary, and after a day or 2 addeding the finings not taking notice of all the sediment at the dottom. Gave it a good stir and churnd it all up, this all dropped out within about 2 mins bit left it hazy so now moved it to the shed where it can sit in cooler temps. Will probably leave t for another week the rack again, back sweeten with pear juice. Need to bring the FG up. Can almost run the car on this stuff at the moment, will bring it down to about 7% where its drinkable. . Will post the final result in a couple of weeks.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just remember that the pear juice likely has pectin in it, so it may cloud things back up. You will also want to wait 1-2 weeks after backsweetening because you will likely drop even more sediment.

In regard to the amount of sediment present now, how much is there? If greater than 1/4" you likely want to go ahead and rack off of that sediment. To me, cider tends to be one thing that does not do well when left on the lees. But, that is just me.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 02-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #16
hunter006
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

After fermentation I racked to secondary then racked again after adding the finings as there was quite a bit of sediment but now hardly any at all. It has cleared a bit but not what I was hoping to achieve. Don't think im going to get to anal over it, just going to rack again at the end of this week the back sweeten. Would it be worth adding more pectolase at that point or just go with it.. got to laugh as ive made 3 batches but learn t soo much.. probably just backsweeten then bottle and dispatch to friends for feed back. Hoping to progress to a stout kit soon and start learning all over again, altho trial and error a pain it is quite addictive..

Old 02-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #17
hunter006
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hi all, just a quick update to cider.
Just dacksweetend with more apple juice and yes the sourness did subside a bit after two weeks. Managed to get the fg back to about 1.020 just to make it more palatable. Still sitting at around 12% so going to let it sit for another week or 2 to mellow..
So as a newbie new
Thought that hard cider would nice but imho Not really. SG should be no higher than 1.060 (strong is not necessarily good).
Do not add finings when sediment is present ( racking to third maybe necessary).
Leave for at LEAST a couple of weeks before backsweetening to allow cider to sort itself out.
I can now compare batches and realised that 1 gl juice 200g brew sugar and wine yeast gave me a better crisp dry cider rather than something I cant smoke near in fear of bursting into flames..
Thanks again all for all your help in my first brewing days, but no dout there'll be more questions in the near future..

Old 02-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #18
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Sounds like you're on the right track and have learned a lot from this batch. I agree...anything over 1.060 is a bit to high in my opinion. (Unless you are making apple wine)

Don't give up on cider it's a very refreshing beverage and easy to ferment once you figure out your technique and what you like to drink. It's all about patience. Rack once to get it off the initial lees, then let it do its thing for a month or so.

Beer? Now you're talking. If you like the "process" of recipes and mash temps and hops etc....there's nothing more interesting. I love making beer. Once you move to partial mash or all grain, ingredients are relatively inexpensive.

Good luck with everything!

Old 02-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #19
Kashue
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I find that bottles are what really helps cider. Some time in a bottle in the fridge, all nice and stable, is a huge boon to cider.

I usually sweeten pretty heavily, but I have a batch of RUTHLESSLY sharp blackberry cider going now. Morbid curiosity led me to bottle it dry. We shall see!

Old 02-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #20
hunter006
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Stupid is it may sound , but you speak of blackberry cider. Now I know you can get fruit cider but the process of wine and cider is the same , is it not . So please tell as to how you would determine the difference between, Apple wine/cider, blackberry wine/cider or is it the base of the brew which decides the out come!!?? I mean if I make a cider why can it not be a wine if its dry as it tastes a bit like white wine.

Quick Reply