Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > The sound of cider activity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
nsmills83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default The sound of cider activity

Decided to try my first cider earlier this week. I didn't want to take up any carboy real estate so I'm fermenting in an old "mr beer" fermenter.

Since it doesn't use an airlock, it's hard to tell if there is much happening. I did however notice the "snap, crackle, pop"- rice krispie sound coming from inside the fermenter. I assume this is yeast hard at work.

Is this an acceptable method for monitoring that there's activity going on?

I'm trying to refrain from taking hydrometer readings as much as possible, since it's only 2.5 gallons and I want to save as much final product as possible

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Lumo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Where does the excess gas escape from this fermenter? Wherever it is, give it a sniff, should be apple-alcohol mix

Old 07-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmills83 View Post
I'm fermenting in an old "mr beer" fermenter. Since it doesn't use an airlock, it's hard to tell if there is much happening.
Something like this?

I would drill a hole in the top lid, put in a rubber grommet, and use an airlock.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Old 07-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
nsmills83
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike

Something like this?

I would drill a hole in the top lid, put in a rubber grommet, and use an airlock.
Yeah. There's already a couple small ports for the air to escape, so I think they would still bypass the airlock. Possibly I can find a way to clog those as well.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmills83 View Post
Yeah. There's already a couple small ports for the air to escape, so I think they would still bypass the airlock. Possibly I can find a way to clog those as well.
Food grade (100%) silicone sealant. And small tubes of that can be found at most pet shops that sell aquariums.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Old 07-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
nsmills83
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike

Food grade (100%) silicone sealant. And small tubes of that can be found at most pet shops that sell aquariums.
Thanks for the suggestions upstatemike. Btw I also have to thank you because this is your caramel apple recipe!

I finally decided to take a reading. My og was 1.068 and it's only one week later and my gravity is 1.006. Should I be concerned that its so low? Should I consider bottling already?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS