Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Some First Bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
bean5446
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Some First Bottles

So my little guy, half gallon organic cider, natural yeast, no additives is coming along. I don't have a hydrometer but I'd say it's still fermenting but veeeerrrrry sloooowwly. I never see more than a bubble pop out of the air lock every once in a while, but I tasted it and it's pretty good. The big guy, 2.5 gallons organic cider, Red Start Champ. Yeast. I tried this once a week for the last three and it seems to be getting exponentially better every week. It is very dry, bit every week gets a bit sweeter and mellower. i drank a small glass of it with my rice and beans last night and it was pretty strong stuff. I can't wait for a couple months form now pulling out a bottle of this. i expect it to be wonderful! I did take a clean/sterile wine bottle full out last night and cork it. Then I took two liters and added a table spoon of dissolved organic table sugar to it and put it in two sterilized Torani Syrup bottles with screw caps. Are these going to explode. I was just guessing at the sugar amount. I bet I could've used more but I don't want two exploding bottles in my garage. I've heard a half cup of corn sugar for 5 gallons of sparkling cider. Any thought as to what these might do? Also, the rest of the cider in the big guy is still sitting there on the yeast cake/sediment. Is this going to be detrimental if I can't get to bottling for a week or so? AH, So many questions: One last one: What temp should I age the two bottles I added sugar to, to help them along in carbonating? Maybe warmer at first? Thanks!

Last edited by bean5446; 01-29-2008 at 06:43 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply