The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > So now that I have bottle bombs, what's the next step?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
MMBB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default So now that I have bottle bombs, what's the next step?

Should I put all the cider back in a carboy and use campden/sodium metabisulfite to prevent further fermentation? The cider was supposed to be still and sweet. I am worried about oxidization from pouring them into the carboy. I do have a few 1gal and 1/2gal jugs I could put it in.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMBB View Post
Should I put all the cider back in a carboy and use campden/sodium metabisulfite to prevent further fermentation? The cider was supposed to be still and sweet. I am worried about oxidization from pouring them into the carboy. I do have a few 1gal and 1/2gal jugs I could put it in.
Well, campden doesn't stop fermentation. So, that could be why you've got bottle bombs unfortunately.

Pouring the cider into a carboy might risk some oxidation, but it's better than bottle bombs.

dissolve the campden into 1/4 cup boiling water for each carboy/jug (one campden tablet per gallon) and that will help minimize oxidation. Campden doesn't stop fermentation, but winemakers use it as an antioxidant, so that should help alot. Then add the cider to the carboys/jugs as gently as you can- racking would be great but gently pouring might not be too bad since it's still fermenting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply