Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > small scale brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
warboss100
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default small scale brewing

in a few months i will be able to get hold of nice fresh apples and pears from near by tree's "friendly neighbours" and i don't want to take advantage so much that i make like 5+ gallons of cider..

all the ciders i have been making have been from cartons of juice "pure" and i want to try and juice my own fruit and make propper cider.

so how much yeast would i need roughly if i made a batch of 1L of juice as then from this i can double or triple to get what i need.

any help would be thanked.

George.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
Loweface
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I can't answer your question about the amount of apples per gallon of juice but would it really be taking advantage if you were to make 5 gal and to give the tree owners back a gallon or two of finished product?

Old 05-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

I'm not sure what your question is? You juice the apples, and add yeast. One package of yeast is good for up to six gallons.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
One package of yeast is good for up to six gallons.
And let's be honest. Yeast is right around $1.00. Don't be a cheapskate! Use the whole package...in a 1 gallons batch, 3 gallon batch, or 6 gallons. You would rather over pitch than under TRUST ME!
Just juice away and take a gravity reading...You can always add honey or sugar or whatever to increase the alcohol levels if you want to.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
warboss100
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
And let's be honest. Yeast is right around $1.00. Don't be a cheapskate!
im not bothered about money, its just as i will only make 1litre of juice which is 1/4 of gallon slightly less i wasn't sure whether too much yeast would be a bad thing. sorry if i confused people but thats all i was trying to say

Old 05-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
HumeBrew
Recipes 

Anyone mind if I ask a few questions too? I'm thinking about doing a few test batches of hard cider later this summer (1 gallon each). I would like to use apple cider from a local farm. They do not pasteurize the cider. So a bunch of questions:

1 - Should I pasteurize the cider? Are there any disadvantages (other than the extra time) to doing this? I would prefer a controlled fermentation rather than a natural one.

2 - Are there specific fining agents that are preferred for making cider (vs. those used for beer)?

3 - If I want to make 1 gallon test batches, what is a good container size to ferment in? Could I just use a little less and use a 1 gallon container or would it be better to use something bigger? If I go bigger, how much extra space is too much (oxidation)?

4 - If I would like to add fruit to the cider (this is where the experimentation comes in), is it better to do in a secondary or to just add it to the primary? I assume this gets into the "when do I add the fruit to my beer" debate, but perhaps with cider there are different opinions.

5 - It seems that a number of recipes call for the addition of yeast nutrients. How important is this? Any recommendations?

6 - I'd like to keep this brew a little sweet. Will the addition of fruit help with that, or should I add a sweetening agent like lactose?

7 - And lastly (for now) what strain of yeast should I use? I'm not looking for a high percentage brew, but something more in line with a strong beer alcohol-wise. Would an ale yeast do the trick?

Old 05-30-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Warboss, I think we pressed 7 bu last year and got around 30 gallons of Cider. Thing is the more you press, the better the results...so do more than you think you'll need. It takes quite a bit.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Last edited by zoebisch01; 05-30-2008 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply