New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Small batch of cider for fall

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2006, 01:54 AM   #1
pariah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Small batch of cider for fall

I think I would like to brew a smallish ( one or two gallon ) batch of cider for fall. I want to do it with organic juice, it just seems more authentic that way. I found this:

http://www.organickingdom.com/js163.html

I think my local health food store has something similar. This is cool because I get the apple juice, and a free one gallon carboy.

Now I assume I would add sulfate to kill of yeasts rather than boiling, boiling would probably cause the pectin to congeal. But is sulfate really necessary? It's not fermenting in the bottle at the store, after all.

I also assume I would simply take the carboy it comes in, drop in some sulfate (how much?), toss in WhiteLabs English Cider yeast, and put a stopper/bubbler in it.

Wait a week, transfer cider to bottling bucket with lid temporarily. Clean out mini-carboy. Put back in mini-carboy as a secondary fermenter. Let it clear for a month or so. Bottle it with some corn sugar for bubbles (maybe 1/4 cup for 1 gallon?).

Age in bottles for a few months and enjoy! Sound like a workable plan?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2006, 03:14 AM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Sounds fine. Take about a cup out of the jug to allow room for krausen. Sulfate depends on the exact type you get, there are three main ones used. Any bag you get will last you for years.

Do not try to carbonate in the jug, they aren't designed for pressure. Add the primer (about one oz. per gallon) & bottle.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-29-2006, 01:32 AM   #3
Muntzster
Recipes 

Could it get any easier?

Old 08-30-2006, 08:58 PM   #4
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah
Now I assume I would add sulfate to kill of yeasts rather than boiling, boiling would probably cause the pectin to congeal. But is sulfate really necessary? It's not fermenting in the bottle at the store, after all
The actual brand you've highlighted on your link is made with organic apple juice concentrate and re-constituted with water. That of course means it's been heat treated anyway to kill wild yeasts so no sulphates need to be added. Remove a small amount as david_42 said for headroom and either use some of the excess juice to make a liquid yeast starter or just pitch a dry version straight in.

Quick Reply