The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Slow Primary Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #1
Jason4run
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Slow Primary Fermentation

My primary fermentation has not become "vigorous" after 4 days. I am getting a bubble from the airlock every 2 seconds. Is that a problem? I am using a 4-gallon water jug from Sam's Club for my primary. I assume it is sterile because I bought it and dumped the water out and used it immediately. I put in 3 gallons of Sam's Club apple juice (no preservatives) and 6 cups of sugar. I rehydrated Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast and pitched it in. Temperature was around 70 degrees. When I moved it the next day, it foamed up like a coke bottle. Does anything sound bad here? I plan to top it off with apple juice and just let nature take its course.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 04:29 AM   #2
jvlpdillon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

We all have had concerns, and we have all asked is it fine, and usually the answer is yes.

You can't make yeast do what you want them too. If you are concerned take a gravity reading. Or just wait for a few weeks.

As for the Champagne yeast. This seems to strip the apple flavor out for the first 6 months. Then freakishly the flavor will come back. Go ahead and drink it young, but do yourself a favor and save some for a year and see what happens.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
unclejimbay
Recipes 

This sounds like a perfectly normal Apple Wine fermentation with RS Champ yeast to me. I think you are off to a great start for sure! Leave it be for at least 4 weeks and it shoudl clear nicely if you leave it at 70F.

Dont bottle it earlier than 4 weeks though, you want it to clear in the primary before bottling.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
Jason4run
Recipes 

Great! Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply