Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Slightly over-carbed my cider - suggestions on what to do?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
Hieron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Slightly over-carbed my cider - suggestions on what to do?

Hey All - With Spring semester starting I procrastinated on pasteurizing my first "real" (did a couple quickie batches in between) batch of cider...I finally got around to it today, but when I decided to crack one open while I worked I saw that I over-carbed a bit...I'm not at bottle-bomb stage yet but it was too much to drink out of the bottle without being obnoxious (tasted amazing poured into a glass on the rocks tho!) I decided pasteurizing was probably a bad idea and crammed all the bottles in the freezer to crash them asap.

So now I'm wondering what my best course of action is from here? Do I bite the bullet and put them in the garage (no room in the fridge but its pretty cold out of course), hoping the cold is enough to keep them from becoming bombs until I finish them? Or would it be feasible (or necessary?) to open them, let off a bit of pressure, and then put new caps on and pasteurize? Or something else I haven't thought of? Any suggestions would be appreciated; thanx.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
jackfrost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Open them then recap Hecate full to check them out in an HR or so....once they hit room temp. Then pasteurized

Old 01-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
KBentley57
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Did you open it warm? It may have gushed for that reason.

Put a few in the fridge and open them in about 3-5 days, and see if they still are too carbed up.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
Hieron
Recipes 

Thanks for the thoughts guys. The first one was cold, but the other couple I opened after that to see if it was a fluke were warm...I ended up taking them out of the freezer just before they would have started freezing, and then put them at the end of the garage where it's about the same temp as outside. That's 20's/30's atm, so I don't think the yeast will be doing much. I'll try another one here in a day or two and if it's under control, great; if not I guess I'll have to follow jack's advice and re-cap them after letting a little pressure off.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

They were good drinking from a glass, but not from a bottle? That is why you should drink from a glass and not a bottle.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
Hieron
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckk View Post
They were good drinking from a glass, but not from a bottle? That is why you should drink from a glass and not a bottle.
Lol yah, I just mean that once you pour it and some of the carb bubbles off, it's great. Drinking it straight from the bottle, it's so carbed that you can't really enjoy it. So yeah I'll be drinking it from a glass for sure!

Old 01-25-2013, 01:13 AM   #7
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hieron

Lol yah, I just mean that once you pour it and some of the carb bubbles off, it's great. Drinking it straight from the bottle, it's so carbed that you can't really enjoy it. So yeah I'll be drinking it from a glass for sure!
Sounds like you already have the answer to your question on how to fix the overcarbed cider--pour it in a glass and drink it. If you want to fix it quicker, I have a glass too.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:13 AM   #8
jackfrost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckk View Post

Sounds like you already have the answer to your question on how to fix the overcarbed cider--pour it in a glass and drink it. If you want to fix it quicker, I have a glass too.
I socond that motion

Old 01-26-2013, 01:13 AM   #9
MarkKF
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Just like champagne. You wouldn't drink it from bottle, unless you are a rapper or just won the World Series. Open breath and pour.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
Hieron
Recipes 

Lol thanks for the interest guys. Yah I've had a couple in the past few days and did essentially what Mark said and it works out fine. It has just a slightly acidid/vinegar finish that I wish wasn't there, but overall its pretty great for my first batch. If I'm more careful not to let the yeast work so much in the bottle next time I'll probably solve that problem.

Quick Reply