New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Sizzling cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
Unusmundus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Sizzling cider?

Alright, so I'm giving my first go at cider making, starting out with a Mangrove Jack apple cider kit. I'm at day 4 of primary, and when I woke up this morning, I peeked under the lid to see if the krausen had dropped, or if I should wait one more day to rack, and there was zero foam left, but the surface was fizzing like a freshly cracked can of club soda ! Is this normal, or has some sort of wild yeast been introduced?? Cheers !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unusmundus View Post
Alright, so I'm giving my first go at cider making, starting out with a Mangrove Jack apple cider kit. I'm at day 4 of primary, and when I woke up this morning, I peeked under the lid to see if the krausen had dropped, or if I should wait one more day to rack, and there was zero foam left, but the surface was fizzing like a freshly cracked can of club soda ! Is this normal, or has some sort of wild yeast been introduced?? Cheers !
Normal. I always leave my ciders in the primary at least 14 days, just as a matter of practice.

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.
Unusmundus Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Unusmundus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Thank god, I've never seen this in ANY of my beer worts before, so it came as quite a surprise. This kit in particular doesn't even call for a secondary fermentation, however my LHBS does up their own instructions for all Mangrove Jack kits, and call for racking after 3-5 days like most extract brews. I think I'll rack now. Thanks man.

Quick Reply