Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Simple cider from store-bought juice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
paint_it_black
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Simple cider from store-bought juice

Okay, so I've been reading a lot of posts in the forum here, but nothing has straight-forwardly answered my question of whether you can make a decent cider out of store-bought juice and not much else.

Basically, I'm looking at buying some store-bought apple juice, adding enough dextrose to get the OG up to about 1.60, pitch a dry ale yeast, let it ferment out to about 1.01-1.015. Does that work?

Specific questions:
- Is pastuerised juice okay?
- Do I need pectic enzyme?
- Is Safale 04 alright? Or do I want Nottingham?
- When adding sugar, do I want to add it in a water solution (like when bottle priming), or just mix it straight in with the juice?
- Does the juice need to be boiled or have anything done to it before yeast pitching, or just dump it in the carboy?

As a side-note, the ciders I'm used to and like are the standard British Magners or Strongbow. So that's more or less my goal (though I realise using store-bought apple juice instead of proper fresh-pressed apples specifically for cider can only get me so close...)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6334 Times on 5489 Posts
Likes Given: 853

1) yes, as is absorbic acid (vitamin C). you want to avoid anything with sulfites as it will make it harder for the yeast to do their thing
2) not if you don't heat
3) yes; 04, 05, or notty all work well
4) nah; you can add it to a half empty bottle of juice and shake to dissolve
5) nope; straight into the carboy

Keep in mind; this will ferment dry as the yeast is capable of ~10%+ ABV. If you want it to be 1.010-1.015, you either need to stop it (hard to do), or stablize and backsweeten to your taste

Old 09-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
DeNomad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This sounds an awful lot like Apfelwin, you might want to try a quick search for apfelwin btw.

Anyway AZ_IPA has got it right. I actually have used Lavin KV-1116 with great success with pasteurized apple juice with added dextrose to end with OG = 1.065. The 1116 stops naturally around 1.010 for me which is perfect for my taste, sweet and kinda dry.

Anyway
1) Yes ascorbic acid is okay. Avoid anything else. No Name apple juice not from concentrate works for me.
2) No you don't even need it if you heat it.
3) 04, 05, notty, 1116
4) I boil my dextrose/sugar in a small pot with some apple juice, it works fine.
5) Just dump the rest of your juice in a carboy, do you self a favour and use a funnel.

Primary: Yooper_Brew's Dead Guy Clone, BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter
Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale, Pliney the Elder Clone

Old 09-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
paint_it_black
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome, this really helps clear things up for me. Sounds super easy too. Thanks a lot!

Old 09-27-2011, 11:58 PM   #5
acowutter
Recipes 

one question form me that wasn't answered i dont think , my first cider will be hopefully today, but you all said if you heat up the juice you dont have to add pectic enzyme, heat to what ?? a boil ? and then kill the heat.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
paint_it_black
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeNomad View Post
This sounds an awful lot like Apfelwin, you might want to try a quick search for apfelwin btw.
A couple years ago I looked into Apfelwein and Graff, and what I read on the main Graff post was that Apfelwein takes a long time to age and get to a point of drinkability, so I made the Graff instead. Haven't done anything cider-related since.

Is it true that Apfelwein takes a lot of aging? Because I want this stuff to be ready to drink for the Fall/winter seasons, preferably by the end of October/early November.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:04 AM   #7
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acowutter View Post
one question form me that wasn't answered i dont think , my first cider will be hopefully today, but you all said if you heat up the juice you dont have to add pectic enzyme, heat to what ?? a boil ? and then kill the heat.
No reason to heat at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paint_it_black View Post
A couple years ago I looked into Apfelwein and Graff, and what I read on the main Graff post was that Apfelwein takes a long time to age and get to a point of drinkability, so I made the Graff instead. Haven't done anything cider-related since.

Is it true that Apfelwein takes a lot of aging? Because I want this stuff to be ready to drink for the Fall/winter seasons, preferably by the end of October/early November.
It's all personal taste. I can actually enjoy Ed's apfelwein at ~6 weeks. At 1+ year I absolutely love it. I know people that have spit out 18 month old apfelwein.

Young, it's (to me at least) a really dry, tart, white "wine" taste. At 1+ year, it's a more mellow, appley, almost champagne taste.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #8
BrewersKaramazov
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 10

This does sound like Apfelwein, and it does take time. I recently learned the value of patience with it. I bottled some in February and did not care for the taste. Six months later, I pulled a bottle out of the garage and was stunned at how good it was.

Beer makes me better looking.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #9
paint_it_black
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
No reason to heat at all.

It's all personal taste. I can actually enjoy Ed's apfelwein at ~6 weeks. At 1+ year I absolutely love it. I know people that have spit out 18 month old apfelwein.

Young, it's (to me at least) a really dry, tart, white "wine" taste. At 1+ year, it's a more mellow, appley, almost champagne taste.
Yeah, it's just, I want something akin to *cider*, and neither the early age dry white wine, or the older apple champagne taste are what I'm looking for.
Is this approach of mine not going to turn out like cider?

Old 09-28-2011, 12:35 AM   #10
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

What most people refer to as "cider" (as in commercial hard ciders) is actually a type of malt beverage...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong....

Quick Reply