New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Simple cider recipe please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
onthegin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Simple cider recipe please

Hi. I have friends in Normandy who would like to introduce their French neighbours to an English type cider. The locals brew their own and use natural yeasts to produce a weak drink, I'm told it's about 2%.
How would someone with access to loads of cider apples but nothing fancy in the way of brewing equipment, only bog-standard kitchen kit, brew up a cider which is palatable and stronger than the local cloudy yukky stuff?
I'd like an easy recipe for them please. By the way, when they moved over there, they found a huge cider barrel (about 5ft tall) in one of the outbuildings which was about a 1/4 full with a brew of many years' vintage. In order to park the lawn mower the barrel had to be moved so they tipped out the contents onto the garden and it soaked into an area approx 4ft by 8ft. Five years later and still nothing will grow on that patch. Manky old cider appears to be the most effective weedkiller since napalm!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
macs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

After that long, it was probably pure vinegar! Although really dry, the Apfelwein recipe is about as simple as it gets. The Panty dropper recipe is a sweeter cider and almost as easy. I would search this forum well as there is many other recipies and a ton of good advice from many great people who are very willing to share their excellent knowledge and experience!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply