The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Should we be racking? If so, when?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
bung-ho
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Should we be racking? If so, when?

I think that we are told by generic wisdom that letting a cider sit to long in primary risks imbuing cider with the taste of dead yeast.

That being said, I have recently heard of several recipes that call for up to four weeks in primary fermentation, some omitting secondary altogether.

What do you guys think? When should we be racking the cider off of the yeast, if we should do so at all?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I personally think that the fears of off flavors as a result of sitting on the lees are overblown. Some ciders and wines sit on the lees for months at a time and come out great. This practice may have en effect on the product, but I have yet to see any proven negative outcome. By comparison, four weeks is a short period.

I like to rack once the primary fermentation starts to slow, but before it stops completely. This gets the heavy lees out of the picture, while allowing the remaining fermentation to form a protective CO2 layer on top of the cider for aging. Others rack off any time the lees get above 1/2 inch regardless of the stage the cider is in.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
bigego236
Recipes 

I just racked to secondary with a batch I had use champagne yeast with, at about 9 days in I had no activity in the airlock. I'm assuming the yeast is done, so wouldn't it make since at that point to transfer? Would there be any benefits of leaving it on the yeast any longer?

Old 12-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigego236 View Post
I just racked to secondary with a batch I had use champagne yeast with, at about 9 days in I had no activity in the airlock. I'm assuming the yeast is done, so wouldn't it make since at that point to transfer? Would there be any benefits of leaving it on the yeast any longer?
No. There are no advantages to leaving the cider on spent yeast.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigego236
If it's done I doubt there is any benefit but ask LeBreton AKA LeBadassBrewer
Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Old 12-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigego236 View Post
There are some styles of wine that call for sitting on the yeast for quite some time. The yeast is stirred up daily for a few months to suspend it throughout the wine. This is called a SurLee (sp?) method. Why do it? It imparts more body and a creamy texture/mouthfeel.

Now, that may not be things that enhance a CIDER. But I did want to chime in and say that the yeast CAN play a part 'post fermentation'. Hope this gives you more info so that you can make a better choice on what you want to do with your brew! :-)

Old 12-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
bung-ho
Recipes 

Well, I just racked my cider to secondary after two and a half weeks. It was still bubbling pretty regularly too, but the lees were really building up. S.G. was down to 1.020 from 1.060. It's still bubbling a bit in secondary though. I'll let you guys know in a month how it turns out.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 4

(Thumbs up)

Old 12-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBreton View Post
I like to rack once the primary fermentation starts to slow, but before it stops completely. This gets the heavy lees out of the picture, while allowing the remaining fermentation to form a protective CO2 layer on top of the cider for aging.
I couldn't agree more. I think this is solid advice and the method I use.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
ShadyHoller
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ok, I think I'm setting myself up for a scolding here, but I need advice with a variation on the same question:

I have cider that has been in primary for a month and a half. Airlock activity has almost stopped. I can't see how deep the lees are, as the 55 gal. poly drum isn't transparent. I assume it's on a fair amount of lees. I am afraid that if I rack to secondary now, there won't be enough sugar and/or nutrients for the yeast to generate enough CO2 to protect it. (I don't have a gravity reading because I'm afraid to open it at this point.)

Here's my problem: normally I would just bottle at this point, but I'm leaving on a trip in a couple days and probably won't have time to bottle until I get back. Aside from yeast autolysis, what risk do I face in leaving it in primary for another three weeks? If I did that, it would bring it to almost three months total in primary, sitting on a big cake of lees the whole time.

If this is a terrible idea, I could bottle most of it right now, but I wouldn't have the chance to backsweeten and then pasteurize. So I would be bottling dry. (Again, I assume it's dry, based on airlock activity, but haven't actually taken a gravity reading)

So, to recap, three options:

1) do nothing, leave it on the lees for another three weeks
2) rack to secondary, risk not having enough fermentation to fill headspace with CO2
3) bottle now

Thanks for any help.

Quick Reply