New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Should I be worried about contamination?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
gmull525
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Should I be worried about contamination?

I pitched my first cider last night and after I attached the airlock I noticed that a fruit fly had somehow found his way into the bottle before I had capped it. I poured him out with a little bit of the cider, but I'm wondering if I should still be concerned about contamination since I'm guessing he wasn't kind enough to fly into the sanitizer before taking a bath in my cider.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It has happened to me plenty of times without any problems. If you want to err on the safe side just don't leave it to age for months on end if it has a relatively low ABV. Even if it oes turn to vinegar you can still pawn it off on friends as xmas presents!

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary: Brewingcentres Pale Ale
Primary: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

Old 04-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
gmull525
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick reply! I don't expect it to last very long anyway. It's only a one gallon batch.

Quick Reply