Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Should I pasteurize my cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
brewsochist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Should I pasteurize my cider?

I'm getting freshly made cider tomorrow to put into my mead which has been fermenting strongly for the past couple of weeks. I just added three yellow delicious apples to my mead--which is 15lbs of honey, water, lalvin yeast.

I was worried that if I added unpasteurized, preservative free cider to my mead that the mead would go bad from bacteria or wild yeasts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 12:09 AM   #2
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You should be fine, fermentation kills a lot of bacteria and there is too little wild yeast compared to your yeast to even think about worrying about it. Heating cider increases the chances for pectins to set in, which will make the cider cloudy unless you add some pectinase in. If you feel the need you could always sulphite the cider to the directions on the packaging of campden tablets. You will need to let it sit for a day or two after though so when you dump it in it won't effect your fermentation. If it were me, I'd just dump it in and forget about it

Secondary:

Bottled: JAOM, Amber Ale

Old 09-22-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 2

you could put sulfites in the cider wait 24 hours if you are that concerned, or you could just dump it in, at 14% it is going to go hard on the bacteria. It is typical for wine makers to use sulfites, wait 24hours and then ferment. It should work for you. Or you could heat it and pasturize it yourself.

Quick Reply