Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > should I add some yeast before bottling (8 months in sec) ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
naeco
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default should I add some yeast before bottling (8 months in sec) ?

Hello, in my previous batch I left my cider in secondary for very little time but this time around, I was able to keep it untouched in secondary for 8 months. I will be bottling this Sunday and will be adding 3/4 cup dextrose to my 5 gallon batch as I want a carbonated cider.

The employee at the local brewing shop told me that after this long it would be a good idea to add 2-3 fresh yeast pellet(S4 for this batch) in each bottle after they've been filled to make sure I have sufficient yeast for carbonation. This shop being specialized in beer, I don't know if their suggestion are always good for cider.

I have read many time on this site that I should still have enough in there for carbonation but just to be safe, can I add these 2-3 pellet of S4 just to be on the safe side or can their be consequences of adding yeast at this point in the process ?

thanks you.

Making cider is easy. Making great cider is tricky.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 968 Times on 636 Posts
Likes Given: 2658

In short: Yes you can. I don't think you'll need them, but two or three dry yeast granules in your bottles won't hurt anything. I've done it with sparkling wine with no problems. Regards, GF.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
wildman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I wouldn't bother or worry if it mine but I don't rack mine to secondarys and do rouse a little yeast when racking to the bottling barrel. After sitting for six months its still carbs fast and has lots of fizz in only 3 days.

Quick Reply