Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Sediment on Carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 01:25 AM   #1
DSeibel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sediment on Carboy

Guys,

Made my first cider about a month ago. Planning on letting it go for about another 2-3 weeks at least. Fermentation seems to have stopped however the carboy seems to have a sediment, or a beige film on the walls and top of the carboy. This is above the yeast cake going up the side of the carboy and also collected on top a little. Is this anything out of the norm.

Here was my recipe.

-5 Gallons unpastuerized cider, no preservatives
-1KG dextrose
-1/4 tsp K-Meta
-1 tsp [ectic enzyme
-1 package wine yeast

I basically combined all ingrediants and let sit for a day before adding the yeast and airloc. Fermentation seemed good and steady for about 2 weeks, this film I am talking about seemed to form during fermentation.

Any thought?

Dave

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2009, 01:57 AM   #2
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

What's it look like, can you show us some pictures? It may be mold or bacterial infection.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:01 AM   #3
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Chances are it's just yeast dusted on the inside of the carboy, I get that with beers alot of times.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:19 AM   #4
DSeibel
Recipes 

I will post pics however I wouldnt think it would be a bacteria or mold, it doesnt look like its active or growing, its been the same for about a week or so. It literally looks like the stuff left from the krauzen on a beer kinda only its light beige in colour....but dusted would be a good term as to how it looks on the carboy.

How would I know if its mold/bacteria?

Dave

Old 04-01-2009, 02:44 AM   #5
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

It would look like it, often whitish in color etc. If it looks like krauzen and has been there without growth, you may be fine. No worries, just saying a picture would give people a better chance at helping.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

more than likely that is yeast that stuck to the top and sides of the carboy left there from the krausen during the vigorous fermentation stage - it happens to me all the time. it can be a bit of a humbug to scrub off when cleaning the carboy for the next batch. ( an overnight soak of oxyclean will eat it right off though)

Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

comming to a carboy near you...
Redhook ESB clone

Old 04-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
g_rath
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Its just yeast. I get that with mine too. I think it stands out more with a cider because its so clear.

Planed: more cider.
Primary: empty
Secondary:Dry hopped amber ale, Does Equis clone.
Keged:Pumpkin spice, wizen.
Bottled: Hard cider, Oaked bourbon vanilla cider, Vanilla Porter.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
rwberne
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default More unexpected growth

Just had my own comparable experience. Pitched dried yeast a few days ago into batch of Baltic Porter. When I did, a small amount of the yeast stuck to the mouth and near the top of the carboy (which was still wet from vigorous aerating of the wort). I thought to rinse it down into the wort, but didn't want to risk contamination. After about 2 days of very vigourous fermentation I notice white splotches at the top of the carboy and around the stopper well above the "high water mark" of the kreusen. I assume it's yeast and harmless - any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 05-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's just yeast, you're fine. It happens all the time.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Quick Reply