Hi all - looking for a little direction/advice -
Ten days ago I put up 4 gal of no press apple (and a wee bit of aprcot) cider (Apple) - OG 1.040, Lalvin EC1118. I should note that there was a nice apple/apricot aroma, but taste wise, it was pretty hoochy when racked out today.
At same time, with an extra gallon of apple juice left, I mixed up a ginger/sugar boil to put up a second carboy of about 2.5 gal mixed apple - ginger (Ginger). OG here was 1.075 also with the Lalvin EC1118.
Both pretty much stopped bubbling through the air lock yesterday and since the apple had a good 1/4 carboy of sediment I decided to rack it to a secondary.
I checked gravity on apple and it was 1.004 and the ginger was 1.035 (which surprised me a bit). As I was racking into a 5 gallon secondary, and the FG on the apple was pretty low, I decided to rack the ginger into the apple so as to fill the carboy up.
Combined gravity is 1.008. I think that's pretty dry and I know it needs to 'rest' - but, should I try and arrest further fermentation by campden or cold crash? I would like to bottle carb in due course and am thinking campden would inhibit that process.
The combined 5 gallon carboy still has some decent sediment floating around, so I may have to rack again once it settles.
I had a few litres of ginger left over, so I've bottled them...( - ony 3 litres, so it was bottle or drink...)...wondering if I can leave it out for a few days to carb or if there is too much residual sugar and I should gently toss them in the fridge and forgo carbing?