The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Santa Rosa Plum Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
Hex
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Santa Rosa Plum Cider

Last month I put on a pair of surgical gloves, sanitized my hands, and hand squeezed/mashed about 15 lbs of Santa Rosa plums from our tree. I then collected the must, used some k-meta and pectic enzyme, and fermented two separate gallons with Nottingham, and got about two liters total clear, dry, hard cider in return, maybe 5%ABV. After two racking sessions, I broke it out at my g-ma's wake this weekend, and it was awesome.

Chilled in an Erlenmeyer flask, Rose colored, clear, and tart, I am surprised how much of the 'Santa Rosa' signature flavor came through.

It impressed everyone with the juice and yeast combo, no sugar added, some said it tasted just like sweet/tart candy...

Highly recommended!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 01:55 AM   #2
Papagayo
Recipes 

Congrats! It's great when that much hard work leads to a good result. If only I had a plum tree in my back yard.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #3
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a santa rosa tree, its a good producer, maybe I should try juicing and fermenting some. I'm not sure why you needed the surgical gloves. I stomp my grapes the old fashioned way, with my feet, no harm has come to my feet or the wine so far.
2 liters from 15 pounds doesn't seem like much.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
Hex
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbathurst View Post
I have a santa rosa tree, its a good producer, maybe I should try juicing and fermenting some. I'm not sure why you needed the surgical gloves. I stomp my grapes the old fashioned way, with my feet, no harm has come to my feet or the wine so far.
2 liters from 15 pounds doesn't seem like much.
You should try it, just plain juice and yeast, no sugar. It was great dry and still, I can only imagine slightly sweet and sparkling. Fifteen pounds is about two gallons with pits and skins, which is about one and a half gals into two one gal fermenters. Lost another gal to pulp and turb, didn't leave it long enough to completely settle out.
I'm thinking of making a centrifuge...

Quick Reply