Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Safe to drink?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Apoxbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Safe to drink?

So I'm making some cider. Have made lots of beer, but this is my first time working with straight juice.

I know that with beer while there may be bugs that can make the beer taste nasty, but there's nothing that can grow in it that'll make a person ill.

Does the same go for cider? Or do I need to be concerned about ecoli or some other bug that could make the ppl drinking it ill??

Thanks for the info!

On Tap - The Tunguska Event, Cream Ale
On Tap - Devastated Sky, CDA
On Tap - Fallow Fields, Autumn Ale
On Tap - East Creek Sour Wheat, Sour Wheat Ale
Fermenting - Nothing :(

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yes, it goes for all fermented beverages....The whole history of beer, wine, mead and cider/Fermentation is general is that nothing pathogenic can exist in them They were consumed in places where the water could kill you, or make you sick.

Even slightly fermented beverages were consumed, even by children. Hard ciders were drunk like we drink bottled water.

Why do you think the Catholic Church chose wine as the basis of their sacrament? Because wine was more important to the culture of the desert where Christianity came from than water. Water safe, drinkable water was rare. So wine was the safer, common beverage of the day.

In fact Maureen Ogle posits that since plymouth rock though colonial times, ciders were drunk more than beer or wine for that very reason...plus there wasn't a domestic barley crop yet, but apples were plentiful, so more cider was brewed to be drunk in place of water than beer actually.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What the rev' said. Off flavours are another story - cider will produce much more "oomph" with bad smells and boozy tastes, so that's what you've got to work on. Splitting seeds in any fruit will produce bad flavours too.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:28 AM   #4
Apoxbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

awesome info! thanks!

ya... this will be interesting. my first time and, frankly, i didn't put a lot of thought into it. some apple juice, some pear juice, into a sanitized fermenter with some notingham yeast. lol. hoping for something drinkable.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
malc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoxbrew
awesome info! thanks!

ya... this will be interesting. my first time and, frankly, i didn't put a lot of thought into it. some apple juice, some pear juice, into a sanitized fermenter with some notingham yeast. lol. hoping for something drinkable.
I basically did the same thing. Anybody have a pic of what the first week or so of fermentation should look like? I guess I am assuming it would not be exactly like beer, but I have no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Old 09-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
Apoxbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i'll shoot a pic for you when i get home. just looks like juice in a carboy! LOL

Old 09-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
malc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Man. Not what I wanted to hear. I have had a layer of what looks like orange foam. Now there are large bubbles forming. Smells fine, but now I am fearing the worst. I used pasteurized cider to start. Would that make a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Old 09-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
Apoxbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

okay... so i'm going to respond, but given that this is my first cider... perhaps better to wait for one of the experts.

my guess is you're fine. not sure what yeast you used, but i read that some yeasts can form more of a krausen than others and mine happened to not form any (used dry notingham). the juice also can make a difference i think.

i used pasteurized juice without any preservatives in it. i do have some large bubbles on the surface (as if you were to blow air through a straw in a glass of juice)... but nothing foamy or anything. though i was half expecting krausen and because the color of the juice is sort of browny/orangy (whatever) i wouldn't be worried if that was the color of said krausen.

again though... let's let one of the experts chime in because i really have no clue what i'm talking about. LOL

Old 09-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Fermentation is ugly, don't worry about it. It's no different from any other fermetnation. A mutant monster is not going to rise out of it.

If it's ugly it's just a part of the process....don't go looking for monster hiding under your bed.
Just pitch the yeast and let it do it's thing.

It wants to work for you....so don't worry what it looks like, smells like....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-20-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
malc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks. My bubbles have the same look. Going to assume all is well. Weird that I never worry about a beer, but I make one cider....

Quick Reply