New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > S-04 Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 01:14 AM   #11
Zymurgrafi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckinball9 View Post
i left it in the primary for 5 or 6 weeks then cold crashed for a couple days. no secondary.
Ah, see I usually set it and forget it. I usually let it sit a couple of months minimum. Time my friend. Time and patience.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 01:29 AM   #12
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi View Post
Ah, see I usually set it and forget it. I usually let it sit a couple of months minimum. Time my friend. Time and patience.
Two things i never mastered... I have tried both US-04 and US-05... unfortuantly the 05 is more common where i get my yeast... i pick up a package of each whenever im looking for yeast... O4 and 05 also make a good lower abv meade... some say im crazy, but i like it.

Cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 01-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #13
nickmpower
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
Last time I used s-04 in a cider it was crystal clear with a FG of 1.002 in 10 DAYS! I couldn't believe it, but hey, whatever, S-04 for the win.
do you happen to remember your OG? (wa it just plain juice and the yeast?). Did you let it age or go straight to drinking it?

Old 01-03-2009, 04:36 AM   #14
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmpower View Post
do you happen to remember your OG? (wa it just plain juice and the yeast?). Did you let it age or go straight to drinking it?
It was just juice and yeast, the juice was cheap-o Smart & Final Brand, so it was kinda weak, clocking in at 1.048. It's all still aging, going on 4 months old now, but I'm waiting for 6 months before I test 'er our.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 01-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #15
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well I kegged last night after 3 weeks. I'm going to give it a week to carb and I'll post the results.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 01-05-2009, 11:13 PM   #16
nickmpower
Recipes 

how long did your guys take to start fermenting? Im at like the 18th hour and there is slight expansion through the airlock but im getting worried. I used apple juice and maybe 1.5lbs brown sugar

Old 01-06-2009, 12:33 AM   #17
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmpower View Post
how long did your guys take to start fermenting? Im at like the 18th hour and there is slight expansion through the airlock but im getting worried. I used apple juice and maybe 1.5lbs brown sugar
fermentation can take up to 78 hours to start, relax, don't worry, it's probably perfectly fine.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 01-06-2009, 12:38 AM   #18
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't know if you're used to fermenting beer but I've found apfelwein and cider to have longer lag times in general. Don't sweat it. The list of reasons why a packet of dry yeast would not be able to ferment juice with a little sugar is very short.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 01-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #19
eyeball-shifter
Recipes 

I just racked a batch of 5 gl motts, s-04, lb dk brn sugar, lb lt brn sugar, and lb of honey. I sampled it and it was awesome, still a little sweet, but awesome. I then pour a second batch of 5 gl motts, s-04, 2 lb lt brn sugar, and 3 lb of honey right on top of the lees. Can wait to tast this one. It took off immediately. How long can I continue using the original yeast this way?

Old 01-07-2009, 04:55 AM   #20
lapaglia
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

3 or 4 times. Since its a cheap yeast Im not sure I would push it more than that.

On Deck: 90 Shilling Clone

Quick Reply