Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > S-04 Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default S-04 Cider

I recently made 5 gallons of just plain apple juice fermented with S-04. I found several mentions of people asking about using this yeast for cider/apfelwein but no conclusive results, so I wanted to make a thread to actually document my outcome. It spent 5 weeks in primary, but the better bottle had developed a slow drip (fixed by keg lube) so I had to rack it. At racking I pulled a sample to measure the FG and have a taste. The first sip is tart, but that wasn't really so prominent on the second and third sips. It taste more neutral to me, like a softer dryer apple juice with just enough sweetness remaining. I love it! The first time I ever had apfelwein I was surprised by the white wine character in the taste. This doesn't have that, and I think I really like it.

OG 1.056
FG 1.008

AA 85%
6.1% ABV

Also, you have to love the flocculation of this yeast. Just had to show this off...

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I really like s-04 for apfelwein/cider. I agree it has a tartness and I enjoy that. It is further accentuated if you use brown sugar in place of the dextrose. Or you can go half and half for a less tart character.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 01-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
wreckinball9
Recipes 

nice job. i also have enjoyed the results from s04 in cider, although mine is wicked cloudy. did you use pectic enzyme or anything else to help it? i have a feeling the 2 lbs of dark brown sugar i used may have been partially to blame for the cloudiness.

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

what was your juice source? I have used 2 lbs. of brown sugar and s-04 in making apfelwein (so store bought cheap apple juice) and had no clarity issues.

Perhaps if you used "real" pressed cider there might have been more clarity issues.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 01-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
thewurzel

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Looks really good

I use white labs English cider yeast in my ciders which dries it out more but I have always preferred a beer or cider yeast to a wine or champagne in my ciders, as I found it always gave it more of a wine or champagne taste. Which was not what I was accustomed too.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
wreckinball9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi View Post
what was your juice source? I have used 2 lbs. of brown sugar and s-04 in making apfelwein (so store bought cheap apple juice) and had no clarity issues.

Perhaps if you used "real" pressed cider there might have been more clarity issues.
hmmm must have been the juice then. for the batch with s04 i used Motts "fresh pressed" juice which was a little darker and cloudier. next time i will use regular Motts.

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

For mine I used publix brand juice in the gallon jugs. I can't remember the specific name of it right now but it was just apple juice and ascorbic acid. Like I said, just those two ingredients.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 01-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Last time I used s-04 in a cider it was crystal clear with a FG of 1.002 in 10 DAYS! I couldn't believe it, but hey, whatever, S-04 for the win.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 01-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #9
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you let the SO 4 sit, it will clear. I have some from last year (fresh pressed juice/1 1/2 lbs of brown sugar/pectin enzyme) and it is perfectly clear.
Hey wreck, did you use pectin enzyme?

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 01-02-2009, 01:10 AM   #10
wreckinball9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugenBrau View Post
If you let the SO 4 sit, it will clear. I have some from last year (fresh pressed juice/1 1/2 lbs of brown sugar/pectin enzyme) and it is perfectly clear.
Hey wreck, did you use pectin enzyme?
no i didnt. i will next time though. i left it in the primary for 5 or 6 weeks then cold crashed for a couple days. no secondary.

Quick Reply