Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Results from juice, yeast and sugar experiments

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #791
kukubau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

@CvilleKevin

What %ABV have the above mentioned ciders?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #792
Fergal
Recipes 

Hi CvilleKevin,

Firstly thank you for your continued contributions to this thread, I am one of the many who have come to the forum late and spent hours reading through 70 odd pages! This thread is a reference for cider makers the world over and something to be proud of.

Just wondering, have you ever sulphited a batch and then left it to the wild yeast? This seems to be the preferred method for a lot of good English & French ciders. Admittedly, it will be impossible to crash and is more suited to the later season apples for cool fermentation and would probably need to be aged for a bit but I would be interested to see how it stacks up against others.

Keep up the good work!

Old 09-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #793
kukubau
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CvilleKevin View Post
If you cold crash, it wont bottle carbonate
@all

How much truth is in this? Cold crashing doesn't kill the yeast, just turns it dormant. If I'll backsweeten it, will it not be enough remaining yeast to carb my bottles?!?

Ty

Old 09-09-2013, 02:09 AM   #794
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Just wondering, have you ever sulphited a batch and then left it to the wild yeast?
No - I've done a lot of batches with wild yeast, but I've never sulfited any of them. Some of them were really good but for me wild yeast is more work and less reliable than using cultured yeast

Quote:
How much truth is in this? Cold crashing doesn't kill the yeast, just turns it dormant. If I'll backsweeten it, will it not be enough remaining yeast to carb my bottles?!?
It depends on your process. If you rack the cider when the yeast are dormant, and dont disturb any of the yeast, then the yeasts are for all intents and purposes, gone and the cider is still unless you force carbonate it. If you pick up any yeast when you are racking, then yes, it will carb your bottles. In that case, make sure you read the sticky on pasteurization

Old 09-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #795
Jeebas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterpants View Post
You need to write a book dude. The amount of information here is staggering.
Truth

Old 09-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #796
Fergal
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CvilleKevin View Post
No - I've done a lot of batches with wild yeast, but I've never sulfited any of them. Some of them were really good but for me wild yeast is more work and less reliable than using cultured yeast
The reason I ask about the sulphiting part is because I have read (from Andrew Lea's website: http://www.cider.org.uk/frameset.htm) that by adding the sulphite you knock out the bad yeast allowing the good to take over.
Specifically he said "In simple terms what happens is that the sulphur dioxide inhibits the growth of most spoilage yeasts and bacteria, while permitting the desirable fermenting yeasts (such as Saccharomyces cerevisiae or uvarum) to multiply and to dominate the conversion to alcohol."

I am at the stage now where I am ready to give wild yeast a go. I'm looking forward to seeing the differences it has to flavour and smell.

Cheers,

Fergal.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #797
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
by adding the sulphite you knock out the bad yeast allowing the good to take over.
Hmm, might be worth a shot - although the main issue I've had with wild yeasts has been keeping the fermentation under control and stopping them before they get too dry. If you have a controlled environment and can keep the temp around 55-60, that would help a lot.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:17 AM   #798
Fergal
Recipes 

Yeah I have a feeling it would be very difficult to control a wild yeast fermentation, maybe if you could fit it in the fridge and keep it a constant temperature you might have a chance of catching it at your desired sg. Whether you could crash it at this point is another matter altogether mind you!

Old 09-20-2013, 03:58 AM   #799
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Default First Juice of the 2013 Season

First Juice of the 2013 Season! - The mix was Cortland, Gala and Jonathan apples. Between myself and friends we got 210 gallons. It smells great. Gala is probably my favorite aroma apple, they smell like Cinnamon when they are crushed. Not a lot of sweetness in the juice up front, nice flavor and mouthfeel, maybe a little thin on the swallow. Nice tart finish. The SG was lower than usual, only 1.045, probably because of all the rain we had in August. I filled 8 carboys and bumped them all with 6oz/gal of turbinado/corn sugar mix.

I sulfited 4 of the carboys with 1/8tsp in 6gal (half the recommended amount). I'll pitch these tomorrow with Brupaks, 3056, 3068, and WLP005. No sulfite on the other four. I pitched those this afternoon with Brupaks, 3056, Notty, and WLP041. They are all just starting to take off.

Basement temp is 66. Its supposed to get up to 80 outside tomorrow, but tonight is nice and cool, so I've got the basement windows open and a fan running, trying to get it down around 60 or so. After tomorrow, forecast is for nice cool ciderin' temps.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #800
markklug
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I also was a recipient of the juice run CVilleKevin mentioned. Wishing now I had filled more carboys like he did.
Started a 5 gallon batch, sulfited at normal rate. Turbinado/corn sugar mix added up to 1.055 OG. Pitched with Brupaks. In fermentation chamber at 64F.
Started a 2.5 gallon batch of cyser unsulfited. Wild rose raw honey added up to 1.068 OG. Piched Wyeast Cider yeast. Fermenting at room temp, hanging about 69F right now.

Quick Reply