Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Results from juice, yeast and sugar experiments

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #751
DakotaRules
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I called the makers of the brew balls a couple months ago and he said that they were making new one in different specific gravity ranges. I hope they come sooner than later. But we've been waiting a few years now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #752
markklug
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Kevin, happened to see Albemarle is doing their "annual" forum......wondering if you'd ever attended or have thoughts on whether it'd be worht my drive to come up for.........they do make a few good ciders.

http://www.facebook.com/events/271873639614695/?ref=22

Old 04-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #753
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I went to one a few years ago. It was interesting, but more geared to the commercial cider maker. I see that this year they have a session for home cider making, which should be interesting. Their ciders are all very good, although a little drier than I like. If you like em dry and looking for tips on how to make a nice flavorful dry cider, then definitely worth the trip. Also very useful for anyone with their own orchard, as the Sheltons are always experimenting with different varieties and consistently get higher sugar levels from the same varieties of apples than anyone around that I know. They sometimes have extra fresh juice available which tends to be pricey but excellent quality. Depending on who else shows up, you might pick up a few more fresh juice connections for next season.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #754
markklug
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Kevin, recieved some Brupaks in the mail and working to put together a cider plan, albeit with store bought varieties initially. The website has: " Brupaks Genuine Real Ale Yeast. Suitable for all ale styles and some lagers. Ferments well at low temperatures (down to 10°C) and has a high alcohol tolerance (up to 12% a.b.v.)"

I can dial in an exact temp to ferment........any thoughts on where you see best results?

Will the yeast stop at a certain level of residual sugar, or do I need to watch and stop it where I want it?

Also planning to try the Muntons Gold again. Now that it has aged, cleared and kegged I cant keep people off of the 3 gallon batch I did. Although it did retain a little bit of hoppy flavor from the yeast cake I pitched the cider on. Actually turned out very good for how fast it fermented. It stopped at 1.010 with no intervention or chilling.

Thanks

Old 04-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #755
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
I can dial in an exact temp to ferment........any thoughts on where you see best results?
I've had best results in the range of 60 to 65F

Quote:
Will the yeast stop at a certain level of residual sugar, or do I need to watch and stop it where I want it?
Sometimes they will stop on their own if the nutrient level gets low, but you cant count on that. I watch and stop mine.

Quote:
Actually turned out very good for how fast it fermented. It stopped at 1.010 with no intervention or chilling.
Great! Yeah for how fast it fermented, you were lucky that it stopped. I did a batch with the regular Muntons and it went bone dry
Old 05-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #756
Unusmundus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 26

So I bought 23 liters of locally produced, not from concentrate, pasteurized apple juice the other day to make cider. They came in 945ml PETE bottles, and though it is unlike me, because I have two other batches of beer on the go, I intend on bottling it the original bottles (I double checked, they are 100% PET and have the number '1' inside the universal recycling symbol). I WAS planning on making this tomorrow, and using Lalvin 1118 (as I much prefer dryer ciders), until I came across this thread. This is my first time making cider other than from a Mangrove Jack's extract kit. I planned on taking 2 or 3 liters of the juice, bringing it JUST too a boil, and dissolving a KG of dextrose to boost gravity (though a friend of mine insists on using dark brown sugar for the flavor). Then just topping up, and fermenting in a bucket (as I hear secondary is unnecessary for cider, and I don't have a funnel large enough for my carboys, though I suppose I could just siphon it all into one before pitching my yeast?). How does this sound to you Cville? What type of sugar would you recommend dissolving? How long do these ciders tend to take to ferment before bottling? And would you recommend 1118 for those that prefer dryer ciders, or would you still go with an ale yeast? Thanks so much mate.

Cheers !

Old 05-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #757
Unusmundus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Oh, and were these ciders carbonated or no? A little confused reading through.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:24 AM   #758
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unusmundus View Post
So I bought 23 liters of locally produced, not from concentrate, pasteurized apple juice the other day to make cider.
Just wondering where you got your cider from? I'm from Halifax myself and I've usually found the OG to be to my liking without adding extra sugar. Having said that, what I buy is often late season cider that has a large proportion of golden russet. Using Lalvin-1118 on a cider with an OG of 1.055 or thereabouts makes for a hearty alcohol content.

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary: Brewingcentres Pale Ale
Primary: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

Old 05-02-2013, 04:45 AM   #759
Unusmundus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusMac View Post
Just wondering where you got your cider from? I'm from Halifax myself and I've usually found the OG to be to my liking without adding extra sugar. Having said that, what I buy is often late season cider that has a large proportion of golden russet. Using Lalvin-1118 on a cider with an OG of 1.055 or thereabouts makes for a hearty alcohol content.
When I say 'locally produced apple juice' I just mean't good old canned Graves (which come in plastic bottles now).

Old 05-02-2013, 04:54 AM   #760
Unusmundus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusMac View Post
Just took the SG of the Grave's apple juice. Too my surprise it's already at 1.050. Using 1118, should I even bother adding extra sugars?

Quick Reply