Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Results from juice, yeast and sugar experiments

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #731
markklug
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Kevin,

Thanks for the thread and great information......two questions if you'd oblige:

Any chance later in the season you might message a list of places you are able to get fresh juice?

Have you ever tried Munton's Gold Yeast? Considering washing a large amount out of a stout that is finishing up to pitch to some cider........thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #732
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I've not used Munton's gold for cider but I have used both types of Munton's (gold and regular) and to be perfectly honest they seem the same to me. I just figured the count was better in the gold and they just nutriented them up before putting them in suspended animation. The only beers I've used them in with the same recipes though came out tasting basically identical so if that's an indicator his normal munton's review would be equivalent.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #733
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I havent used Munton's Gold and Muntons doesnt publish much in the way of specs. I suspect that Accidic is right about it being essentially the same as their regular Ale yeast. Their regular stuff will rip through cider pretty fast. If you want it really dry, or if you can keep your temps around 60F to slow the ferment down a bit, then it might be workable.

As far as getting juice - I just picked up another 42 gal last week, but AFAIK that was the last pressing that anyone around here is doing for this for this season. Here is a list of orchards in Virginia, a couple of which are close to you. Might be worth calling them to see what they have.

http://www.orangepippin.com/orchards...tates/virginia

I wont be looking for juice again until next September. If you want to PM me with your email address, I'll let you know when I get juice next next Fall. I usually organize a few group buys with the local homebrew club and get 125 to 250 gal, in order to keep the price down and better selection of apples. Not sure if I'll be doing that again next season or not - but most likely

Old 03-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #734
markklug
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks Kevin. I'll hold temp down at 60F and see how it turns out, I'd rather it not go too dry if I can avoid it.

System wouldnt let me pm you, but Im still a rookie on the site. If you do a group buy Id definitely be interested in making the trip up to get a few carboys filled. I feel like the valley you are in has a lot more variety to offer.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #735
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
I feel like the valley you are in has a lot more variety to offer.
Yep. Just about every valley from here to West Virginia has good apples. 2012 was a nice year for most growers and thousands of new trees have been planted to keep up with demand. Hopefully this coming year will be another good harvest.

One advantage of all the new commerical cideries, is that its extended the juice season a bit. I got 42 gallons just a couple of weeks ago, which is the latest I've every been able to get juice. Juice was Pink Lady, Stayman and Golden Delicious. I was hoping to get some more Winesaps in the mix instead of the GD, but its still a pretty good tasting mix. Lots of apple flavor, just not as much tang as I like, but that can usually be compensated by letting it go a couple points drier.

I did two batches with Brupaks, one each of Nottingham, S04, US05, S23 and S189. I didnt do any wheat yeasts this time around, mainly because I already had these other ones in the fridge and wanted to use them up. I havent used the S189 before, so I'm taking a bit of a roll of the dice on that one. The others are solid performers. Basement temps have been ranging from 52 to 64 and ferments are going strong - stronger than the previous batch, which took over 2 months to ferment out. Those have all been crashed and are clearing on the back shelves. The pressing before that is in kegs and the two before that are gone, except for a few bottles. In retrospect, making two lager yeast batches at once was not such a great idea. The S23 and S189 are both a little stinky. Its not so noticable in the main room, but behind the bar its pretty strong.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #736
markklug
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Cider is started on the Munton's Gold......and fermenter dialed in to 15.5C(60F) Will see how it goes and report. The yeast cake was very compact and thick so I am hoping it will be easy to cold crash after the cider gets down to about 1.008
Have a guess for how long it should take at that temp? My OG was 1.048

Have you tried the Brupaks on anything besides cider? I see it's your favorite now, and no one is obviously using it much in the states. Makes me want to order some and try it on a beer, mead etc.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #737
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Have a guess for how long it should take at that temp? My OG was 1.048
I'd guess between 2 and 3 weeks, but you might want to check after 10 days or so. The only time I used Muntons was with a gallon test batch and it went from 1.055 to bone dry in 7 days. This was in early October though, so temps were a bit warmer - mid to upper 60s. Keeping the temp at 60 should extend the time a bit.

Quote:
Have you tried the Brupaks on anything besides cider?
nope - although there appear to be a lot of folks in the UK that are using it to good effect. Gervins English Ale is another good one from the UK - as near as I can tell, GEA is the same yeast as Notty for 1/3 the price.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #738
markklug
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

A few GEA, brupaks and a cider yeast ordered........more batches to try

Old 03-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #739
natewv
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Kevin...did I buy a few kegs off you through C-list like 2 years ago, at a gas station in C-ville? I had driven down from Baltimore for meetings...the guy said he made hard cider for a living...

Anyway, I got a few pages in and love this thread but I wonder if you could make my life easier and make a couple quick observations...I want a basic semi-sweet carbonated 8%-ish cider, and I can temp control/crash/keg. I'm using your basic AJ from the grocery store with only ascorbic acid added and trying to stay 'all-natural', SWMBO doesn't even want me to use corn sugar (dextrose), just cane. I don't see the difference but she's got her ideas and I'd rather not argue about it. This also means no chemicals later either.

4.5G AJ
1 lb table sugar
1 lb brown sugar
S-04

Would you suggest those amounts/types of sugar (I truly just made it up, given Ed Wort's recipe suggestion)?
Would you suggest a lower ferm temp around 65? And this is to slow fermentation, right?
In your experience, to get a nice not too dry taste what do i want my FG to get down to and how long would it take?

Now more importantly, my plan is to cold crash/rack/cold crash/keg. Do you agree? If I keep it cold I assume she will stay where she's at, but let's say I carbed this up and decided to bottle some later. Could this stuff get warm and not dry out? I know these sound like dumb questions, I'm just trying to get a '10,000 foot view'.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #740
markklug
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Guess 60F wasnt quite cool enough.......just got a gravity off of the cider started morning of the 25th, already at 1.012. 36 points in about 2 days. Taste isn't bad, but nothing to write home about either. Guess Muntons goes to the do not use pile.

Quick Reply