Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Results from juice, yeast and sugar experiments

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #671
SkiNuke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just cold crashed 1 keg at 1.008 and 1 keg at 1.010. My plan is to let them sit there for a few days, transfer them to a new keg each and then add campden and sorbate to officially halt the fermentation. I plan on carbing with CO2 and bottling these, then giving about 5 gallons out to friends and I would hate for them to go boom. Any thoughts on using a combined cold-crash/sorbate method? I have never used sorbate before since I am a beer guy so I don't really know what to expect.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #672
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Any thoughts on using a combined cold-crash/sorbate method?
If you used ale yeast, I would expect that to be effective. Sorbate does impart a noticeable taste, which is why I dont use use, although some people are OK with the taste. Before adding sorbate to your kegs, I would advise that you first mix a small amount of your cider with small amount of sorbate to see how the taste works for you. To me it has more of a root beer taste than for cider, but with different juice YMMV. I could see it maybe working in a spiced cider. If the keg you are keeping stays cold, then you dont need to add sorbate to that batch - the cold will keep it stable.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #673
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Default 2nd juice pressing for 2012

I picked up another batch of juice yesterday. Between myself and friends, we got 175 gallons. The mix was Stayman, Empire, and Winesap. Its a good blend, nice aroma, decent sweetness with some spice up front and a nice mouthfeel. Tart finish. Sg was 1.052, although it tastes sweeter. Unpasteurized, no kmeta, pitched with some minor variations on what I made last month:

Brupaks yeast with half pound of corn sugar and a pound of light turbinado
Brupaks yeast with 12oz of corn sugar and 24oz of light turbinado
Wy3056 with half pound of corn sugar and a pound of light turbinado
Wy3056 with 12oz of corn sugar and 24oz of light turbinado
Gervins English Ale yeast (AKA Notty) with half pound of corn sugar and a pound of light turbinado
WLP041 with half pound of corn sugar and a pound of light turbinado
Wy3333 with 2 lbs of Orange blossom honey
S04 with 2 lbs of Wildflower honey.

For this round, I did 2 Brupaks and 2 Wy3056 batches. I used slightly different amounts of sugar so that I wont have to crash them all too close together

The four carboys on the back left are from the first pressing. They all got nice and clear on the crash. I'll let them sit and clear for a couple more weeks to make sure that they are stable and then keg them.

The other 4 batches from the first pressing are kegged and on tap. In retrospect, I wish I hadnt done that one batch of Brupaks without the added sugar. Its got a ton of apple flavor but still a little raw tasting after a couple weeks, whereas the two Brupaks batches still sitting in the carboys taste great. Unless it changes a lot this week, I'll probably add a little agave to it to take the edge off it and take it to a party this weekend.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #674
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Has anyone tried White Labs liquid 007 English cider yeast? Sounds tempting, but I've only used Notty, S04, and montrachet so far. Wondering what flavor profile it produces.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #675
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I never tried WLP007. Supposedly it is a more attenuative version of WLP002, so basically a dryer, faster fermenting version of Notty. The White Labs cider yeast is 775. Its OK for a dry cider. IMHO the WLP ale and wheat yeasts give you more interesting flavor profiles.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #676
CodyA
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 22

How hard is it to halt a ferment from 1.06 to 1.01 using EC-1118 when cold crashing? I was looking at this yeast because of it's supposedly neutral taste and low H2S production (pretty scared of gettin the rhino farts), but I hear it moves like a freight train and strips flavor pretty fast. Is that true? I saw in your first post that you mentioned keeping an eye on it, but I'm just wondering if I would have any problems with it if I checked it regularly. Also, does it clear pretty decently?

Old 10-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #677
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

EC-1118 is a champagne yeast, which does not crash well. Use an ale yeast if you want to stop at 1.010. If you keep the temps cool - ideally 60F, you wont get much H2S production

Old 10-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #678
CodyA
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 22

S-04 it is then! After posting this I looked back at my notes and saw that I used 1118 on a strawberry wine and had a hell of a time crashing it. Temp control is going to be difficult though, I have the choice of either putting it in the outdoor shed and hoping it doesn't get too cold and start molding on me, or freezing my ass in my bedroom keeping the thermostat at 65, having no garage or basement.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #679
Hedo-Rick
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My first attempt at cider, and was wondering if someone could help me get back on track?

I've been reading a lot here and feel I have confused myself at this point.

I have 5 gallons of fresh (However, I did use campden tablets, peptic enzyme and yeast nutrient), cider currently in primary with Nottingham ale yeast with a starting gravity of 1.058. I'd like to ferment, NOT back sweeten (I really would like to maintain the natural apple flavor), bottle condition and pasteurize.

1) Is it possible to rack to secondary and hold at a specific gravity/sweetness (shooting for 1.015), or will it continue to ferment to dry? Is secondary absolutely necessary for cider?

2) Is cold crashing something I would want to consider having used peptic enzyme? If I was to cold crash, would I be able to bring the cider back to room temperature, prime with a couple ounces of dextrose for bottle conditioning and then pasteurize.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 10-29-2012, 12:46 AM   #680
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
1) Is it possible to rack to secondary and hold at a specific gravity/sweetness (shooting for 1.015), or will it continue to ferment to dry?
If you cold crash, you can generally stop the fermentation, although adding yeast nutrient will make it harder to crash. Just racking alone will usually not halt the fermentation, although it sometimes can.

Quote:
Is secondary absolutely necessary for cider?
No, it depends on your process.

Quote:
2) Is cold crashing something I would want to consider having used peptic enzyme? If I was to cold crash, would I be able to bring the cider back to room temperature, prime with a couple ounces of dextrose for bottle conditioning and then pasteurize.
Given that you added pectic enzyme and nutrient, I would expect that cold crashing is going to be less likely to completely stop the fermentation, in which case you could prime, bottle and pasteurize. The fermentation should slow way down after the crash, and there is a chance it could stop completely, but most likely enough yeast will survive to bottle condition.

Quick Reply