Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Results from juice, yeast and sugar experiments

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2008, 05:01 AM   #51
RugenBrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks for that info and everything your doing. This post is a great source for me and others.

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2008, 03:41 AM   #52
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

just a quick question of your saflager s23. I was going fine with it but it got away on me and is now at 1.000 Yeeech!!!! You say it improves with age. About how long? Oh well, if it improves a little bit maybe I 'll try to blend it with the safale s 04. I think I'm addicted to that

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 11-21-2008, 06:56 AM   #53
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Bummer about the S23. Mine has dropped a little bit more since crashing to 1.002, but still very tasty. It has a bit more complexity than the S04 with the same juice. I just kegged the S04 batch and it tastes great. I also just crashed the S23 one more time to clear it a little more before kegging and hopefully keep it stable until I can drink it. I'm going to let it chill for several days this time.

The S23 definitely improves with age. I didnt think it was all that when I bottled the first batch in mid December of last year, but it was OK when we drank most of in in January and really good when we drank the last liter in September. In my short experience with saving cider, the drier it is, the longer it takes to really get good.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:21 AM   #54
gwood
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Great thread, lots of good info here.

Question for Kevin: Do you have anything that's been in the bottle for more than a year now?

I've got some more long term plans for a few batches and just wanted to get your take on longer term storage.

The troubles of our proud and angry dust
Are from eternity, and shall not fail.
Bear them we can, and if we can we must.
Shoulder the sky, my lad, and drink your ale.
A. E. Housman

Follow me on Twitter @SoCalBeer

Old 11-21-2008, 07:50 AM   #55
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I still have two liters of a batch that I started on January 2 of last year. Thats the oldest stuff I have.

Last year was the first time I've ever managed to save anything past February, maybe March at the very latest, so I dont have much experience as others with storage. I saved 36 liter bottles and two kegs until September. The kegs were overly dry and I was planning to give them to a friend to make vinegar until about the end of August when they started to get decent tasting.

I have read a lot of posts from folks who just let it go dry and then save it for at least a year and that is what I am planning to do with the first 5 kegs I made this season. I let them ferment all the way out, didnt cold crash and will try to save them until next Fall. It remains to be seen if they will last that long or be any good, but that is the goal.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:06 PM   #56
gwood

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CvilleKevin View Post
I still have two liters of a batch that I started on January 2 of last year. Thats the oldest stuff I have.

Last year was the first time I've ever managed to save anything past February, maybe March at the very latest, so I dont have much experience as others with storage. I saved 36 liter bottles and two kegs until September. The kegs were overly dry and I was planning to give them to a friend to make vinegar until about the end of August when they started to get decent tasting.

I have read a lot of posts from folks who just let it go dry and then save it for at least a year and that is what I am planning to do with the first 5 kegs I made this season. I let them ferment all the way out, didnt cold crash and will try to save them until next Fall. It remains to be seen if they will last that long or be any good, but that is the goal.
I've got two batches that feremented out to 1.002 with Montrachet that are over a year now and one Cotes de Blanc batch that is getting close and they are both still good. The Montrachet has improved significantly.

A. E. Housman

Old 11-22-2008, 07:03 AM   #57
jay415
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwood View Post
I've got two batches that feremented out to 1.002 with Montrachet that are over a year now and one Cotes de Blanc batch that is getting close and they are both still good. The Montrachet has improved significantly.
What was the OG?

Old 11-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #58
gwood

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay415 View Post
What was the OG?
I don't have the numbers with me but I think that both batches had four pounds of sugar added...relatively high.

A. E. Housman

Old 12-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #59
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Kevin
I just thought I'd give you an update on the saflager S23yeast. 2 weeks ago I told you how it had chaged to something horrible. Well I took a sip of it last night and it is on its way back. I can't believe how much it changed in just two weeks. It is really quite pleasant tasting

Old 12-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #60
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

When you tried the 4184 sweet mead yeast what was the FG? I am reading where this yeast is suppose to die out early and I was wondering how sweet the cider would be.

Quick Reply