New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Results from juice, yeast and sugar experiments

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #201
phawley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjschroed View Post
I'm not sure what you meant by get stupid quick but I wanted to clarify that I wasn't implying that you were stupid. This brewing thing we do requires constant experimentation or else we wouldn't ever find new things or what we like best. Don't know much about aging cider under 5.5% but I think I remember reading somewhere that you were alright for at least 6-9 months.
No offense taken. What I meant was that I was not looking to increase the ABV in order to get drunk/tipsy/"stupid" with the least amount of drinking possible. I'm sure there are a number of people that try home brewing with those intentions and you've probably read their questions on this site. I assumed you thought I was one of them and that is why I responded that I'm not trying to "get stupid quickly."

I enjoy a good cider and am hear to learn the craft and enjoy the results. Unfortunately, I have few funds right now so I am trying to understand as much as possible before I do something that may severely alter my cider.

I appreciate your quick responses to my questions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2009, 01:48 AM   #202
Mcduff
Recipes 

Default Brew Balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by CvilleKevin View Post
One of the challenges of stopping the cider with some residual apple sweetness is knowing when to start checking the SG.

On this last batch, I tried out a new method – using some brew balls to monitor the progress. There is a company that makes these for beer, and they were good enough to make me a custom set for cider. So far, they seem pretty useful for cider and I’ll probably be getting some more of these for the next round of batches. Here’s the website: http://www.brewballstore.com/

Hi CvilleKevin,
I would like to thank you for starting this thread, I used your methods to do my own 5 gallon/5 yeasts test with some good results. Thank you!

On the subject of brew balls I emailed Tom at the Brew Ball site and told him your comments on numbering them as well as getting my own custom set and he said
"We are looking at future sets with numbers laser-engraved."

I can see where the numbers would be much better then the colored dots if you get a lot of custom balls.

Thanks again for all the great information in this thread!

Mcduff

Old 10-25-2009, 04:09 AM   #203
rjschroed
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by phawley View Post
No offense taken. What I meant was that I was not looking to increase the ABV in order to get drunk/tipsy/"stupid" with the least amount of drinking possible. I'm sure there are a number of people that try home brewing with those intentions and you've probably read their questions on this site. I assumed you thought I was one of them and that is why I responded that I'm not trying to "get stupid quickly."

I enjoy a good cider and am hear to learn the craft and enjoy the results. Unfortunately, I have few funds right now so I am trying to understand as much as possible before I do something that may severely alter my cider.

I appreciate your quick responses to my questions.
I assume nothing and after your explanation, your comments make perfect sense but I wanted to make sure things were clear before something stupid happen. I don't need to make any enemies here and have no reason to treat anyone on any online forum like an idiot. There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers. reading this sticky on this forum is a great start on making some great cider. Have you ever homebrewed before?

Old 10-26-2009, 02:15 AM   #204
kenstogie
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but instead of yet another thread it seems like a good idea to ask here...

Got 3 gallons of pure (no preservitives, non pasturized etc) apple cider and added 3 campden pills, let it sit over night, added 1 lb of light brown sugar (after boiling for 15 mins), sprinkled some Star wine yeast and it's bubbling away in the fermenter. At this point I am not sure what to expect

-How long will it take to ferment?
-How long should I let it age in the bottle?
-Should I carbonate? (and how would I properly do it, priming sugar just like ales?)
-How long is this type of bottled cider good for, typically?
-Is that stinky odor normal while fermenting?
-anything else I should expect?

Last edited by kenstogie; 10-26-2009 at 02:18 AM.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:30 PM   #205
ChemEMc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

CvilleKevin, i can't thank you enough. I am very new to homebrewing and I went out to Nelson County this weekend and picked up 6 gallons of cider from Dickie Bros (UV pas., no preserv.) with not much more of a plan then throw it in a carboy and pitch some champagne yeast. After reading I have changed that more than a bit.

I am planning on using the 2/3 turbinado to 1/3 dextros split to up it to 1.060 and pitch with either Coopers or US05 after I re-taste the cider to see if I think it's got enough bite as is. You have also convinced me to get the rest of the stuff I need to keg, as i know the girlfriend will want it bubbly even if i don't.

A few questions though. Has anyone played with adding spices during fermentation? Like mulling but not after it's done? How about mulling after the fact, I'm sure you couldn't really go wrong with that.

Also, I'm in Richmond, any recommendations for cider supply, the closer the better. I went to Nelson County simply because i know the area from camping at crabtree, and it's not that bad a drive. I plan on getting at least one more batch going this year, so anyone putting out a particularly good cider right now?

There is no way to guess how much money, time, and horrible cider you have saved me, kudos!

Old 10-27-2009, 01:15 AM   #206
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There's lots of recipes with spices - if you search the main forum, you'll find a ton of them. I havent done anything with spices yet

I've been getting my cider from Showalter's, which is near Harrisonburg. They make great cider. They're even further from you than Dickies, but they sell a lot in Central VA - you might want to check with their Cville distributer and see if there is a place that is closer to you. The distributer is: http://www.cavalierproduce.com/

I'll be going to the press again in mid-Nov and will post something on HBT before I go. I usually pick up for a half dozen friends when I go.

If you're thinking about a kegging setup and up for a trip to the DC area, you might want to check out this craiglist ad - seems like a pretty good deal for everything you need to start kegging: http://martinsburg.craigslist.org/for/1408987960.html

Old 10-27-2009, 01:35 AM   #207
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

BTW - On Sunday, Nov 8th, I'm having some friends over to check out the some of the experimental batches from this season - the better of the DME batches and wheat yeast batches. If you're close to C'ville and want to drop by, PM me and I'll send you the details - cheers!

Old 10-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #208
ChemEMc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Above and beyond, thanks again! I actually had two tanks and a regulator from serving standard retail kegs, so i only needed the corny and quick connects, which i picked up yesterday from Weekend Brewer in Chester. Now just need to convert the extra mini fridge i got sitting around.

I started that batch of cider last night as well. The cider i got from dickie bros was labeled as Millers Orchard, so i guess that is their supplier. But for those curious the OG was 1.052, adding 10oz turbinado (sugar in the raw) and 5 oz dextrose upped that to 1.060, adding another 6oz turb & 3 oz dex took it up to 1.064, so your 18/9 split would have pretty much hit the money for 1.065, but i wanted to play it safe. This is a 5 gallon batch btw. I pitched one packet of coopers (dry, no starter) when the cider was around 63F before i went to bed. It is bubbling very slowly but steadily this morning, hope that continues and i didn't pitch too cold, i got another packet in case.

I noticed the temp range of coopers is 69-79F (weekend brewer site), have you had any problems since you seem to ferment at temps lower than that? I think this may actually help me have a slower ferment since mine will be kept at around 70.

Will update with results.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #209
phawley
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjschroed View Post
I assume nothing and after your explanation, your comments make perfect sense but I wanted to make sure things were clear before something stupid happen. I don't need to make any enemies here and have no reason to treat anyone on any online forum like an idiot. There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers. reading this sticky on this forum is a great start on making some great cider. Have you ever homebrewed before?
I'm brand new to home brewing though many friends and family have been into it for a while. I enjoy the process of creating something yourself so this seems like a logical hobby for me.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:55 PM   #210
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Once the weather gets cool, my basement is usually around 55-60F and I've never had a problem with any of the yeasts at that temp, although they will take a lot longer to ferment out - which I view as a plus. I'm pretty sure that the recommend range is for fermenting a regular ale in a short (week or less) amount of time. Coopers will go pretty fast at 70F, so you'll need to keep an eye on it.

Quick Reply