Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Recycling Cider Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
hiphops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Recycling Cider Yeast

I'm new to brewing cider; I just made my first batch, using champaign yeast. I'm not as new to brewing beer, however.

I usually (always, now) recycle my beer yeast.

Does cider produce a yeast cake that can be recycled, similar to beer? If so, does anyone recycle their cider yeast?

Swim - bike - run - repeat
Indict - convict - affirm on appeal - repeat
Brew - bottle - drink - repeat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 01:38 AM   #2
pcollins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I'm definitely a noob to brewing cider but no noob to brewing beer. I'm in the same boat as you!

I just recently brewed four gallons of cider just bought from a store and pitched with US-05. Turned out fine and what I did was rack off three gallons of the original and put them on fruit and put in four new gallons on the original gallon that was left over. Gave it a good slosh around and fermentation restarted within a day or so.

Now, it may not make the kind of cider that you like but it did do what I was hoping it would do. I re-use yeast cakes all the time in my regular brewing so it seemed logical to me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply