The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Recycling Bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011, 08:17 PM   #21
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBroonery View Post
Don't ever buy empty beer bottles. They sell them for close to the same price with beer in them! I've got over 400 of them in my collection from over the years. They're good until they break!
You can buy beer for just about 10 cents in MD?? Huh, just when I thought I'd never want to move there...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #22
Apple_Jacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I will make it a habit to save all of my beer bottles (that I like) from now on so I don't run into a shortage problem again. I bottled my cider yesterday and ended up with 68 bottles!

20111101225247.jpg  

Old 11-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #23
Brewing207
Recipes 

I've had great luck putting sink rinsed beer bottles in the dishwasher and instead of detergent I use a hefty amount of granular sanitizer...I leave the heated dry on and the labels fall right off for the most part! Super easy and you can do about 2 cases at once. Never had a problem with contamination.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:26 PM   #24
Apple_Jacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

My biggest problem is that my dishwasher is my right hand and my left hand lol. I've been keeping my eye out on Craigslist for one of those dishwashers you hook up to your kitchen sink though...

Old 11-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #25
giligson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You lucky Americans with you cheap beer.
In Canada the cheapest bottled beer will run you about $2 plus a 0.10 deposit on the bottle.

We who are about to Brew, salute you!

Old 11-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #26
TheBroonery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
You can buy beer for just about 10 cents in MD?? Huh, just when I thought I'd never want to move there...
Well I was being a little sarcastic. Montgomery County MD (where I live) is the worst place in America to buy alcohol IMHO. The county government holds a total monopoly over alcohol distribution, making everything cost about double what it costs across the river in northern VA (It's the only county in America that does this). Plus the state just added a 9% tax to alcohol and they're talking about a 15% gas tax. It's a liberal's dream!

Old 11-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #27
Apple_Jacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Well I was being a little sarcastic. Montgomery County MD (where I live) is the worst place in America to buy alcohol IMHO. The county government holds a total monopoly over alcohol distribution, making everything cost about double what it costs across the river in northern VA (It's the only county in America that does this). Plus the state just added a 9% tax to alcohol and they're talking about a 15% gas tax. It's a liberal's dream!
Ahh the necessary, but criminally over-used, evil that is taxes. That is the funny thing about taxes. So many people feel we need to owe our "fair share" but if you ask me, we pay too much with little to nothing in return. Go drive down some Michigan roads and tell me where the hell all of the gas tax is going! In someone's pockets I am certain!

Here in Tennessee the alcohol laws are pretty ridiculous. Stores cannot sell liquor and wine in the same stores as beer. Liquor/wine stores actually cannot sell anything without alcohol in it, including mixers! However, they are now allowed to sell mixers in liquor stores as long as it has 1% alcohol in it....
So, it is illegal to sell a 4 or 5% beer because of the low alcohol content, but it is legal to sell mixers with 1% because of the alcohol content...Who in the hell comes up with this?!? And stores are not allowed to sell liquor/wine on Sundays, but you can still order them at a bar or restaurant. What purpose does that serve?

Old 11-03-2011, 12:41 AM   #28
kiwibrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've reused beer bottles, but I also like reusing 500 ml brown plastic A&W rootbeer bottles, holds the carbonation just fine. That way you can take them places you wouldn't want glass.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #29
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Quote:
He he... Don't get me started now. I try to stay OUT of that forum.

I probably should mention that the bar downtown that has saved Guinness bottles for me doesn't even charge me the deposit. AND they usually serve me a free beer when I work on their computers.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #30
Devo9
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by giligson View Post
You lucky Americans with you cheap beer.
In Canada the cheapest bottled beer will run you about $2 plus a 0.10 deposit on the bottle.
Move to Winnipeg, you Vancouverites are getting ripped off! I was out there just over a year ago and almost had a heart attack at how much your alcohol costs!!! It may not be as cheap as the US, but a lot cheaper than B.C.

Quick Reply