Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Recommendations for recipe with..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 04:42 AM   #31
CodyA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Started mine on the 8th, crashed it the 13th, racked the 14th, racked again the 16th, and keg-pasteurized today. Got it hot enough to where I couldn't keep my hand on the outside of the keg for more than 5 seconds, so I'm guessing like 115-120 for 20 minutes (was really worried about evaporating off all the alcohol). Should be good, considering every time I pitch yeast into a wort that's hotter than 100 degrees, I always end up killing all the yeast and having to repitch.

Yours is not going to be a sweet cider like mine though, so as far as aging to mellow the flavor, I couldn't tell ya. But tasting mine at 1.002, it reminded me of some organic English cider my buddy bought one day. So definitely palatable at least with no aging.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #32
w1dow
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

5 days then to ferment quicker than i would have thought. So i take it you would check the gravity daily?

The boiling point of alcohol is like around 170f i think, so your way off that, so wouldnt burn any alcohol off.

My juice delivery has been delayed until tomorrow although can't do nowt without the yeast.. good old royal mail, bloody useless they are, estimated delivery is 2-5 days hopefully get by end of the week.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #33
w1dow
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

there was 96 bottles sitting on the floor..... god this is going to take a while, didn't get what I wanted ,ended up with 96 small bottles instead of 36 large..

Old 11-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #34
w1dow
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

ok so all bottles emptied into bucket, added a spoon of pectin enzyme will add another spoon when started to ferment.

As far as priming the yeast would i be right in saying you only need to add a few spoons to the 1/2 litre of juice?
And once its primed add it to main batch in bucket along with rest of yeast then leave for 24hrs before adding the nutrient? Or just add it all at the same time.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #35
CodyA
Recipes 

All at the same time would be fine. The only thing that needs to be left to do its work before fermentation starts would be your enzyme.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #36
w1dow
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

btw thanks for your help so far you have been a great help

So only adding a small amount of yeast as a starter is correct? just i thought if i were to add it all, i thought maybe it might all foam up and over out of the jug lol.

forgot how heavy 25 ltrs of fluid weighs , god i hope it dont break out fridge when i get to that point, or the mrs will kill me along with my wallet!

Just interested to know would you cold crash in the fermenting bucket, then rack, cold crash again, then bottle?

Old 11-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #37
CodyA
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1dow View Post

Just interested to know would you cold crash in the fermenting bucket, then rack, cold crash again, then bottle?
Yes.

And no problem! I'm learning here to.

Add the whole yeast sachet into the liter of juice. As long as the container you are making your starter in is roughly twice the size of your half liter or larger, you wont get any foam over problems. Especially with apple juice. Not like beer where you get a lot of foam.

Be careful with glass trays in the fridge. 6 gallons of IPA with only a 15 inch foot print on a glass tray was definitely too heavy and put too much pressure on the glass. Learned it the hard way, good thing it was in a fridge that was going to get tossed by my buddy anyway had I not saved it.

EDIT: Add the sachet into the HALF liter of juice.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #38
w1dow
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyA View Post

Be careful with glass trays in the fridge. 6 gallons of IPA with only a 15 inch foot print on a glass tray was definitely too heavy and put too much pressure on the glass. Learned it the hard way, good thing it was in a fridge that was going to get tossed by my buddy anyway had I not saved it.

EDIT: Add the sachet into the HALF liter of juice.
yeah wouldnt have trusted it on the glass anyway. Its a fridge/freezer so it will be sat on the bottom of the fridge, tested just now and its fine, just about fits! probably take out the bottom door tray though as i have to push bucket right to the back of the fridge partly blocking the air outlet cooler fan.

Just taken another OG and currently sits at 1.054 @ 17c / 62.6f will check again tomorrow when its at correct room temperature.

so i want a cider with a bit of a kick and not too dry so i'm thinking maybe take down to 1.000 which would give a abv of 8% and hopefully wont be too dry like white wine, but since i'm a white wine drinker that probably wouldnt bother me too much or the mrs.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #39
CodyA
Recipes 

You will probably like it at 1.000. Mine was at 1.002, and it was very pallatable and tasty. A TINY bit wine like, but not bad, and still very apple-y. I just wanted a sweet cider with just a small tart kick. At 1.002, mine was at 7.5% ABV

Old 11-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #40
w1dow
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

if OG on mine is 1.058 and i take down to a FG of 1.000 it will be about 8.6% so quite a bit of a kick, so maybe 1.002 - 1.005 would be better, will taste test when it gets near to that level see what the taste buds think!

Quick Reply