Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Recommendations for recipe with..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
w1dow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Recommendations for recipe with..

Hi,

After being so busy with work and life ive finally got round to planning to brew a decent cider, but i'm going to need some help if you could?

Managed to source this apple juice:

A guy at work whose sister works at a bottling factory was selling it off cheap because of some cock up at work, so manged to order 36 x 750ml bottles for just 15 quid! bargain!

Now i need a good recipe to put my plan into action

After searching around there are so many recipes so would like to hear from people what would get the best taste.
I don't like sweet cider nor to dry so medium dry would be ideal.
Also would like it quite strong so around 7% mark will i need to add extra sugar to achieve this or will there be enough natrual sugars in the juice to begin with?

So first thing first which yeast to use? i read champagne yeast works well?
Do i pasteurize? or not? although i'd rather not (less hassle)
As above with i need to add extra sugar?

Sorry about all the questions just i would like to get it right and get a great tasting cider.

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Corriveau
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

To answer your alcohol content, you will need to get a hydrometer. As far at the yeast, that is your choice. I have used champagne yeast, Trappist yeast, and currently fermenting with a ale yeast

Old 11-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
w1dow
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yeah i have a hydrometer, to date ive made one batch of cider from a shop bought kit and it tasted like crap, so this time i'm doing it right using good quality apple juice.
But as far as the yeast goes i thought the type you use depends on whether you want it dry etc?

Old 11-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
w1dow
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

other thing is that i only have a fermenting bucket with lid of course and a keg, i read that you dont want air in it while fermenting, is it going to be ok in the bucket?

Old 11-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
CodyA
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Did mine in a bucket, came out fine. Primary fermentation lets off enough CO2 to keep out all atmospheric air. I don't think you would be doing a secondary fermentation, since you want 7% and a medium-dry cider. That's the only time I'd recommend a carboy over a bucket.

I'd use a lager or ale yeast. I'm using S-04 Safale Ale yeast now. The reason I say to not use champagne is because you are going to want to stop fermentation to preserve the original apple flavor and sweetness without backsweetening.... And champagne yeast is quite a pain to try and stop compared to lager and ale yeast. Since I'm on the topic of stopping the ferment, you have a fridge big enough to fit your entire batch in, right?

As stated before, get a hydrometer and tell us what your reading of that juice is. We'll be able to help you more once you give us that information.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
kblankenship11
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 20

That looks like some legit juice!!! I never made cider before so I can't speak to any recipes, but I watched this video a while back and thought it had a ton of killer info in it. Check it out:

Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
w1dow
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyA View Post
Did mine in a bucket, came out fine. Primary fermentation lets off enough CO2 to keep out all atmospheric air. I don't think you would be doing a secondary fermentation, since you want 7% and a medium-dry cider. That's the only time I'd recommend a carboy over a bucket.

I'd use a lager or ale yeast. I'm using S-04 Safale Ale yeast now. The reason I say to not use champagne is because you are going to want to stop fermentation to preserve the original apple flavor and sweetness without backsweetening.... And champagne yeast is quite a pain to try and stop compared to lager and ale yeast. Since I'm on the topic of stopping the ferment, you have a fridge big enough to fit your entire batch in, right?

As stated before, get a hydrometer and tell us what your reading of that juice is. We'll be able to help you more once you give us that information.
thanks some good info there , ale yeast it is then. don't have room for whole batch to cold crash, was thinking of using campden tablets to stop fermenting?

is there a general rule of thumb as regards to how much yeast to use? oh btw I do have a hydrometer already. my bucket only holds 40 pints and I will have 47 pints worth of juice unless I can find another container suitable for the extra.

other thing I was planning on doing is reusing the bottles after ferment is finished as they are screw cap and well makes sense really. don't think I'd need to sterilize them would I as they only would have had the juice in.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
CodyA
Recipes 

Campden will not stop a fermemntation. No way. Are you force carbonating or bottle carbonating?

Old 11-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
w1dow
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

still cider not going to carb it. campden won't stop it ,oh damn. how cold does it need to go? gets quite chilly here in winter maybe leaving it outside? lol

Old 11-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
CodyA
Recipes 

That may not be a bad idea! To at least halt the fermentation. But note that just cold crashing won't kill the yeast and fermentation will re-start once you allow it to get to room temperature. But if you're goin for a still cider, I would follow the instructions on the bottle pasteurization thread (A sticky at the top of the cider forum). You will have an even easier time avoiding exploding bottles since your cider will be still.

Quick Reply