Reading a hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAREEBROWNBEEST

Reaction score
So it states on my hydrometer to take a reading, place in jar for trial. Can't you just use the tube the hydrometer came in? I got an FG reading of this

image-3065460310.jpg

My sample fell towards the bottom portion of the green area that states "finished". But according to the numbers on the chart provided this is a reading of 1.010, 1.3% alcohol? I took my reading in the tube the hydrometer came in. Is this going to give false readings because there is not much volume, or is it okay to take readings with the tube?

As long as the hydrometer is floating, and not touching the sides of the tube, you can use any container.

Ignore the "colors" and the ABV%. The ABV% is "potential alcohol", and of course in a finished batch you shouldn't have any "potential alcohol" as it should be fermented.

To figure ABV, you need to look at the original gravity, and then the final gravity and then do some minor math. The formula is (OG-FG) x 131 = approx ABV.

The way to make sure the cider is done is to take readings a few days apart. When the readings no longer change, and are in a reasonable range, it's safe to bottle.

Cider usually finishes at .990 or so, so if you're "in the green" on that scale, it ain't done!

So I guess if I didn't take a OG reading I guess I can't determine what I've got. Oh well, next time. Thanks for the calculation.

(OG-FG) x 131 or (OG-FG) x 129?

I've seen both online. Is it old thinking vs. new thinking?

(OG-FG) x 131 or (OG-FG) x 129?

I've seen both online. Is it old thinking vs. new thinking?

It doesn't really matter.

Using the first one, if you have an OG of 1.085 and a FG of .990, you get 12.445% approximate ABV. If you use the second, you get 12.255%. Certainly not much of a difference. Use which ever you want.

Thank you. My hydrometer accidentally got dropped and I just received my new one couple nights ago. I had no way to take an OG.

Latest posts

Back