New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Raw Cider Vs. Store Bought Vs. Juice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
mojorader
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Raw Cider Vs. Store Bought Vs. Juice

My local cider mill is selling cider at $10/gal because of the bad harvest here in Michigan. The lady said I could stop in on the weekend and request some raw cider because they normally sell it with preservatives. I also found cider at walmart for $4.50/gal w/o preserves (and pasteurized) but its kinda looks pale as if its watered down.

My question is A) Is there any advantage/disadvantage using raw cider vs pasturized and B) is it worth spending $60 on 6 gal of fresh cider when I could either get some at walmart for less than half that or just do what I've done in the past and buy some juice for even cheaper?

I don't really mind spending the extra money but I want it to be worth it if I do. Thanks for all the help!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3858 Times on 2819 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorader View Post
My local cider mill is selling cider at $10/gal because of the bad harvest here in Michigan. The lady said I could stop in on the weekend and request some raw cider because they normally sell it with preservatives. I also found cider at walmart for $4.50/gal w/o preserves (and pasteurized) but its kinda looks pale as if its watered down.

My question is A) Is there any advantage/disadvantage using raw cider vs pasturized and B) is it worth spending $60 on 6 gal of fresh cider when I could either get some at walmart for less than half that or just do what I've done in the past and buy some juice for even cheaper?

I don't really mind spending the extra money but I want it to be worth it if I do. Thanks for all the help!!
Well, I've used both the cheap-o Walmart cider and the good stuff. Either will make hard cider.

But the taste of the "good stuff" is extraordinarily good! Just like when you drink it unfermented, the flavor of a good fresh cider is wonderful.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:17 AM   #3
natureboy68
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Fresh is ALWAYS better, and local is even better

Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 AM   #4
Apple_Jacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 2

And Walmart is never a good idea.

I bought some damn good local cider down here in Tennessee for $6.50 a gallon. $10 a gallon is rough, but if you are going through the trouble of making 6 gallons of hard cider, why not go all out and use the good stuff? Especially if that helps out struggling local farmers.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
mojorader
Recipes 

Good point. I guess I'll just have to shell out the extra for the best. Any tips to get the best flavor out of a raw cider or is it pretty much the same procedure as using juice (other than not being pasteurized)?

Quick Reply