Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > It was raining and I was bored...HELP!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #21
Albionwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Try using honey instead of brown sugar - some of the honey notes persist after fermentation and add complexity to the cider.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #22
boatcapt
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishd43 View Post
No clue bro, I've never heard of that. What do you mean rinse the yeast? I know you can just put new stuff on your old yeast cake and use it but I've never heard of rinsing it, can you explain that for me? I'm curious.
I've done it a couple of times with beer. Take your trub, mix with boiled and cooled water, sit in fridge for an hour or so until the yeast settles out, poor off most of the cloudy water, repeat the process several times and what you end up with is a pretty good amount of pure yeast for your next batch.

I know, dry yeast is cheap and easy to obtain but FREE is even cheeper. Also if you have harvested a not readily available type from your bottle conditioned local micro, it is nice to be able to continue using the strain.

In my hands a five gallon white food grade plastic bucket is a weapon of mass destruction...and yeast is my yellow cake Uranium!

Old 09-26-2013, 04:15 AM   #23
danishd43
Recipes 

Awesome, thanks cpt. Free beats cheap everyday!

Quick Reply