New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > It was raining and I was bored...HELP!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
boatcapt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGrylls View Post
Yes that's WAY too much priming sugar for one gallon. Use the following calculator which has brown sugar listed as one of the priming agents: http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Depending on how much co2 you're looking to impart, you should be in the 1/2 ounce to 1 ounce range.
Jeez louise BeerGrylls (nice handle by the way!), you're trying to kill me by making me figure out how much CO2 I want as a final product! What would be the upper end of normal? I don't want it still. I want it to hold a little head (pun intended) after pouring but not too much.

Would four CO2's be too much? I didn't go to math school but the worldwideinterweb says that would be about 3.5 tablespoons (.22 cups).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2013, 04:37 AM   #12
BeerGrylls
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
Jeez louise BeerGrylls (nice handle by the way!), you're trying to kill me by making me figure out how much CO2 I want as a final product! What would be the upper end of normal? I don't want it still. I want it to hold a little head (pun intended) after pouring but not too much.

Would four CO2's be too much? I didn't go to math school but the worldwideinterweb says that would be about 3.5 tablespoons (.22 cups).
Haha awesome. Yeah I just didn't want to be an accomplice in a 12 pack of Apple grenades The honest truth us that I've never made carbonated cider, but i think if you start getting up that high it well be more like soda.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #13
danishd43
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatcapt
Thanks Randzor. I've got airlocks but I don't have a stopper that is the right size. Would I be relatively safe to pull a switch while the cider was still off gassing? The balloon is taught so it is putting off gas.

All...Do my time estimates (2 wk primary, 2 wk secondary, 1 week bottle condition, pasturize) look OK?

Knowing myself, I'll probably crack open the first bottle right after it chills after pasturization. I would imagine it will taste rough at best at that point. How long should I age the other bottles before I should expect a reasonably product (four weeks, four months...four YEARS...)?

I'm making my third batch right now and I've found it can be ready in a week. My last batch sat in primary for five days. It was still bubbling but it was already upwards of 5%ABV so I bottled. Because it was still carbing there is no need to add priming sugar, just let the reaction continue. I took two small (250 ml) plastic bottles with screw caps and filled them with cider as well. They are the control bottles. When they are good and firm, about the same as a store bought soda then it's time to pasteurize. I just put the bottles in the dishwasher and run the sanitation cycle. It's hot enough to kill the yeast and stop fermentation so you don't get bottle bombs. Let them cool to room temp then refrigerate. I was drinking them a few days later and they were delicious. No need to wait forever although it might be worth setting some aside to see if they get noticeably better.

I think if you did a full 2 week primary, then another 2 week secondary the ABV would be so high it wouldn't taste good anymore and you could end up with vinegar in the extreme case. I don't bother with a secondary since cider is usually cloudy anyway.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #14
danishd43
Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks Randzor. I've got airlocks but I don't have a stopper that is the right size. Would I be relatively safe to pull a switch while the cider was still off gassing? The balloon is taught so it is putting off gas.

All...Do my time estimates (2 wk primary, 2 wk secondary, 1 week bottle condition, pasturize) look OK?

Knowing myself, I'll probably crack open the first bottle right after it chills after pasturization. I would imagine it will taste rough at best at that point. How long should I age the other bottles before I should expect a reasonably product (four weeks, four months...four YEARS...)?

I'm on my third batch of cider for the season right now. I think your fermentation schedule is pretty long. My last batch sat in primary for five days then I bottled. It came out around 6% ABV. I don't bother with a secondary since cider is cloudy anyway. I bottle after five full days in primary and when I do I fill a few small plastic bottles with screw caps as well to use as references to know when to pasteurize. When they are good and firm, about like a store bought soda then it's time to pasteurize. I crack open one of the plastic bottles just to be sure. If its what I want I put all the bottles in the dishwasher and run the sanitation cycle. It's hot enough to kill the yeast and stop fermentation. Let them cool to room temp then refrigerate. I was drinking them after a few days, and they were delicious. no need to wait months but I might set some aside next time to see if they get noticeably better.

If you bottle while the yeast is still working there is no need to add priming sugar, just let the yeast keep working and try the plastic bottle tip to avoid popping open all your cider to check carbonation. The last batch I pasteurized after about 29 hours but I've heard of some being ready after a few hours so just watch them.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #15
ericbw
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:

You won't get much head retention with cider. Carbonation can be anything from a tickle to very fizzy like ginger ale. But bottling 4 volumes might be more than the bottle will hold. I think 3 is the limit for safety? Especially if you're going to pasteurize.

I would go for 2.5 volumes for the middle of the road.

Other than that, it should be fine. You might want to sweeten it with brown sugar a little at a time until it tastes right, then bottle, then pasteurize.

The plastic test bottle is the best way to know when it's ready to pasteurize.

Cider is much simpler to make than beer, but much more difficult to make it taste good!

Old 09-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
boatcapt
Recipes 

Great ideas all. I like the "Dishwasher Pasteurizer" and the "Coke bottle pressure test." I'll be using both!

Been in the primary for six days now and the bubbling is starting to slow. It's still there but much diminished from a few days ago. It is still just as cloudy as the day I put it into the fermenter. Shouldn't it start to clear a little in the primary? Will it clear up when I rack it to the secondary? I'm OK with it if it doesn't or isn't supposed to but I don't want to be waiting for visual indications if none are going to happen.

In my hands a five gallon white food grade plastic bucket is a weapon of mass destruction...and yeast is my yellow cake Uranium!

Old 09-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #17
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 7

At room temp your cider will take a month or two to clear. I also like the dishwasher method...sounds easier than heating all the bottles in a large canning pot. You cider will clear much faster in the fridge. I wouldn't be too concerned about the airlock unless you are doing extended aging in the fermenter. Once fermentation slows, you could cover the balloon with foil, or remove the balloon and seal with several layers of saran wrap and foil for a week or two no problem.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 09-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #18
CoTron
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My cider takes 3-4 weeks to clear.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #19
boatcapt
Recipes 

Just short of two weeks and into the secondary. Fermentation had slowed WAY down (almost nothing) for a couple of days so I racked it.

Can I "rinse" the yeast and reuse as I have with beer or is this not done with cider?

In my hands a five gallon white food grade plastic bucket is a weapon of mass destruction...and yeast is my yellow cake Uranium!

Old 09-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #20
danishd43
Recipes 

No clue bro, I've never heard of that. What do you mean rinse the yeast? I know you can just put new stuff on your old yeast cake and use it but I've never heard of rinsing it, can you explain that for me? I'm curious.

Quick Reply