Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Racking Ed Wort's Apfwelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
jacobdaughtry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Racking Ed Wort's Apfwelwein

3 weeks out. Used cider instead. Fermentation has stopped now. Would like to rack. I don't think it matters in terms of clarification whether I rack it now.

I was wondering what you guys think it does to flavor if I go ahead and bottle it now? Getting anxious to see what it tastes like.

Thanks,
JD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

How do you know fermentation is complete?

I know you're impatient, but good thinks take time...I let mine sit for 3 months (it took that long to clear....)

Here's ed's instructions....

Quote:
It will become cloudy in a couple of days and remain so for a few weeks. In the 4th week, the yeast will begin to drop out and it will become clear. After at least 4 weeks, you can keg or bottle, but it is ok to leave it in the carboy for another month or so. Racking to a secondary is not necessary. It ferments out very dry (less than 0.999, see here)
Aging anything improves flavor....I found it very very harsh when it was young...now that it is 6 months out (3 in the bottle) it is much smoother.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-15-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
jacobdaughtry
Recipes 

Not 100% sure. Haven't seen anything from bubler for about a week. Going to go check gravity now.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobdaughtry View Post
Not 100% sure. Haven't seen anything from bubler for about a week. Going to go check gravity now.
Thought that was what you were using to judge....(shakes head)

Remember airlock bubbling is never a true sign of fermentation, only your hydrometer is....

The airlock is outgassing oxygen initially and more importantly co2 (which is of course a byproduct of fermentation), but there are a lot of variables that come into play in terms of the airlock bubbling...You could have for example and bad seal between the grommet (or stopper) and the airlock, or the lid on the bucket isn't fully tight and gas is getting out elsewhere besides the airlock, or the stopper and mouth of the carboy and that would appear slow, while fermentaion is actually occuring rapidly... Or the little bubbler in the airlock could be sitting a little crooked, or become weighted down with tiny co2 bubbles and need to build up a good head of gas before blurping again.

Even having the airlock leaning slightly askew affects it.

I've had beers in my fermentor that have had almost no airlock activity, but I saw the liguid in the airlock was saturated with tiny bubbles. But on the other hand, the brown ale I pitched on a yeastcake from a previous batch sounded like a machine gun the way the bubbler was going up and down...I ended up needing a blow off tube once it got going...

So as you can see airlock activity varies, and should not be used a a sign of speed or lack of fermentation.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-15-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
jacobdaughtry
Recipes 

Thanks Revvy. Just checked the gravity. Holy Cwap. It is at 0.095!!! Not sure it can go much lower.

But you are right. Good things come to those who wait. Let my wife take a wiff and she said she wouldn't even take a sip of it. It smells acrid now.

Think transferring to a secondary and letting it set for a couple of months is not such a bad idea now. Definitely will have to set back and be patient.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks Revvy. Just checked the gravity. Holy Cwap. It is at 0.095!!! Not sure it can go much lower.

But you are right. Good things come to those who wait. Let my wife take a wiff and she said she wouldn't even take a sip of it. It smells acrid now.

Think transferring to a secondary and letting it set for a couple of months is not such a bad idea now. Definitely will have to set back and be patient.
Yeah I had people refusing to drink it, or hating it after a few ships when it was young and raw...they love it now.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:09 PM   #7
whoptbird

Recipes 

Mine was in for 3 months as well (i actually forgot it was sitting in the back of the closet). I bottled it this weekend. I wanted some sparkling so I mixed it with dextrose, but I did do 2 still ones for me and SWMBO and stuck em in the fridge. I liked it, it really was just like a dry wine, I'm excited for the sparkling when its ready. I'd say follow Ed's recipe and wait at least 6 weeks or until it's cleared if it's not at 6 weeks. Hope it turns out great for ya.

Brandon "whopTbird" Fontenot

Twitter= @whoptbirdjones

Old 06-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #8
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoptbird View Post
I'd say follow Ed's recipe and wait at least 6 weeks or until it's cleared if it's not at 6 weeks.
If you follow the recipe, you are guaranteed a good drink that will clear in as little as 4 weeks. It will be young and bitter at first, it will mellow and become more apple flavored as time goes by.

I think a lot of people are initially turned off to Apfelwein because they think they know better right off the bat and try to change it...End up with something that won't clear, or tastes like demon drool, then think they don't like Apfelwein.

Make the recipe that has warranted the fermentation of 6,500 gallons of apple juice. Once you know what it SHOULD do...Experiment From There.

People dont' want to read the whole thread on the apfelwein...fine read Page 1, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!!! You wont' be disappointed.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:19 AM   #9
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hmmm...three weeks out and already has a SG of 0.095!

That seems like a short and sweet process that you have assembled there.

What were the yeast, sugar and temperature that you used?

Others posted that when using a cloudy cider going in, it is still cloudy when finished, was your cider cloudy at the start?

Thanks,

Pogo

Old 06-21-2008, 12:47 AM   #10
BlindLemonLars
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Don't transfer to secondary, it's not necessary. By racking, you're just exposing it to more oxygen, with no gain in return. Just leave it in the primary, and try to forget about it. When it's absolutely crystal clear, you can start thinking about bottling.

Quick Reply