New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Quick Whiskey Apple Cider??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 05:54 AM   #11
MisterWoody
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Haha! I know, I feel terrible. It felt weird enough pouring almost 6oz of a $45 bottle of whiskey into a 1L beer bottle with apple juice. Oh well, live and learn. I doubt it will carbonate anymore - It's in the fridge now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterWoody View Post
Haha! I know, I feel terrible. It felt weird enough pouring almost 6oz of a $45 bottle of whiskey into a 1L beer bottle with apple juice. Oh well, live and learn. I doubt it will carbonate anymore - It's in the fridge now.
Seriously, that is a bomb. Don't wait, drink very very soon.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:08 AM   #13
MisterWoody
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You seem pretty adamant about that - I will take it out and check it tonight when I get home from work.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 4

By diluting the ABV to 8%, adding juice (sugar source), then adding 'priming sugar' (another sugar source) you give the champagne yeast a chance to ferment ALL of that sugar.

That's a situation that if Left in an enclosed bottle can turn into a high pressure bomb. Please be careful!

Chicks dig scars, but homebrewers can woo women in much better ways! :-)

Old 06-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #15
dand
Recipes 

Just a nobbie diggin up old threads with questions.... I recently tried some Honey Bourbon, which after reading this thread made me think it might go very well with some cider.
Some were saying that mixing in the whiskey would make it hard for the yeast to start, so when would be the best time to add it in? At bottling with priming sugar, or maybe during secondary once the main fermentation is done?
My thoughts (based on no experience at all and seeking advice/thoughts on this from everyone) are trying a 1 gallon batch with just apple juice/yeast, let it go untill it is at a stable FG, then maybe mix in some bourbon.
Would it be worth even adding the bourbon in secondary or before bottling, or should i just stick to cider and mix it afterword?

Old 06-21-2013, 01:00 AM   #16
tokerlund
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Really what you are doing is blending. Brew up your hard cider to whatever AVB percent you want. Then blend it with the whiskey and drink. If you want it carbonated, you could always ferment out your hard cider, then blend with whiskey and add a bit more sugar to carbonate in the bottle. The problem with that is that by blending, if you get over the upper limit of alcohol tolerance for the yeast, they will simply die and you will have still whiskey/hard cider that is a bit sweeter.

If you are just going for a hint of whiskey flavor, then you can add it in the secondary or there are even whiskey extracts you can buy that just add the taste (probably not as good as the real thing). This is what I did for my Bourbon Barrel Ale.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:30 AM   #17
ErinRae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I hope your fridge doesn't have glass shelves!!

Daydreaming about......raspberry vanilla, wildberry mead
Brewing & Aging: Wildflower mead, Betrayal: A Stark Raving Cherry Mead
Bottled: sweet blueberry melomel, sparkling Cranberry/Blackberry melomel, fb apple cyser, wine, wine and more wine!

Quick Reply