Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Quick Whiskey Apple Cider??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2013, 04:34 AM   #1
MisterWoody
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Quick Whiskey Apple Cider??

I am very new to brewing. Started my first attempt last Monday and it's going well. I just racked to a secondary (for practice more than anything). Now I can't touch it for several weeks. I am getting impatient. I decided today to try an experiment in fermenting. I mixed some apple juice with some fantastic Irish Whiskey (calculated it out to be about 8% ABV total) - sweetened to where I wanted it then added a pinch more sugar for some carbonation. Put a little cinnamon and vanilla extract in it along with a sprinkle of a few other apple pie spices. Added a tiny bit of yeast nutrient and a pinch of champagne yeast. Tastes pretty good. Put it all into a 1 liter bottle with a flip-top to carbonate. It's been 12 hours since I closed the bottle - I just tested and there's no pressure when opening the flip-top. So I have 2 questions. Will this carbonate? and Will it be OK to open the flip-top to test carbonation level then just re-seal to further carb if it's not what I want? This may seem ridiculous to try but like I said... I am a total newbie and I really wanted to try out carbonating something.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I doubt the yeast will kick off in an 8%ACV whiskey laden solution, just my line of thinking. Even if it did, the yeast will ultilize ALL fermentable sugar and would produce more than enough CO2 to explode your sealed bottle. If anything, transfer it to a soft sided PET bottle so you can simply squeeze the bottle to feel for signs of fermentation. You could try building your base of juice and some sugar and yeast/nutrient, save your spices/whiskey for post ferment and then prime a control PET bottle post ferment and see what happens. How much whiskey are you adding to what volume because fortification will kill yeast, but you could pull it off, I think.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 03-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
MisterWoody
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the reply! I wasn't planning on letting it ferment to completion in the bottle. Just to carbonate. It did start carbonating and I will check it every 12 hours or so then pop it in the fridge when it is where I think I want it. It's actually quite tasty.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterWoody View Post
Thanks for the reply! I wasn't planning on letting it ferment to completion in the bottle. Just to carbonate. It did start carbonating and I will check it every 12 hours or so then pop it in the fridge when it is where I think I want it. It's actually quite tasty.
Ok, just remember that 'cold crashing' only slows things down. If that bottle comes back to temp it will take off again!

Old 03-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So you are simply adding whiskey to an unfermented cider until you reach around 8%ACV and then bottle carbing with yeast? No actual ferment to make a hard cider?

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 03-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sounds like a sparking, low ABV pommeau.

Any carbonation so far OP? I'm curious as to whether the champagne yeast, which is tolerant of 8%, will be able to start at that level.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
MisterWoody
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ya, it started. No, I am not fermenting to reach 8%. I started at 8% and I am only 'fermenting' to get carbonated. I know this isn't technically a 'cider' because I am not really fermenting the apple juice for alcohol content. Either way, it's tasty and like I said in my OP - I am only doing it to experiment because I'm a complete newbie.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
MisterWoody
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well, just went and opened it to check for carb level - gushed everywhere - lost about 15% of the bottle. Oh well, re-sealed and put in the fridge - I might let it sit for a week or so before I drink it - It's quite sparkly and delicious. But if anything, I hope my experiment gave you guys a little info. Pasteur Champange Yeast will start and ferment well in an 8%+ beverage!

Old 03-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
Meadiator
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Bummer, man. 15 percent of any alcoholic beverage lost is 15 percent too much. Glad it turned out alright though! Lol

A mangiar questa minestra o saltar questa fincestra.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:14 AM   #10
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Freak'n alcohol abuse right there.
Tomorrow, you should just drink it before it blows up. Maybe wear eya and hand protection when you grab it and pop it.

Keg #1: RHESB
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: Bavarian Hefeweizen
Fermenter #1 BMC West
Bottled: 3.5 gal Mjolnir (Thor's Hammer) Mead

Quick Reply